CalArts or Art Center?

Hi. I am planning to start my MFA in Graphic Design this fall. So far, I have acceptances from a few colleges but the two I have shortlisted are MICA and ACCD(media design). Does someone have any information which might help me take a call on this?

I plan to work for a few years after my Masters before opening a design studio of my own, so the placement opportunities is the biggest factor I should be looking at. Art Center probably fares better n the rankings, but MICA is more selective and I really like the faculty there. So yeah, I am confused. > :frowning:

Thanks a lot for the advice. I chose Art Center over MICA but now I have a bigger problem. CalArts accepted me too! I would do anything to attend CalArts but the problem is that I have been accepted to the 3yr program. So this is how it stands currently -

CalArts - with $150k in debt
Art Center - with $100k in debt

I will be applying for financial aid again next year(didn’t get much anywhere this year because I am an international applicant) as well as working on the campus, internships etc. Basically anything to earn money to fund my education. But yeah, CalArts or Art Center!

Guys, any help will be much appreciated. I really need to take a call on this soon.

Thanks.

I’d pick the one with better biz school connections - you’ll need to know how to set up a LLC or Sole Propriatorship, finance basics - all the entrepreneur’s skills.
most art schools take the better mouse trap attitude, don’t fall for it.

I don’t know much about mica’s graphics dept but in general the school depressed me. Also being in baltimore for too long can get depressing also (I was born + raised there). I don’t think they get a lot of recognition for their graphics and I believe they’re really selective because the facilities are small (from the last time I visited which was a while ago). They seemed really focused on the fine arts.
Art Center has an incredible name and I see incredible talent coming out of their. The only issue is probably paying to live in cali. Personally, I’d think that accd would be the better choice. Nobody can say for sure until they do it but if it were me, just based off of what I know right now, it would be cali hands down.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I chose Art Center over MICA but now I have a bigger problem. CalArts accepted me too! I would do anything to attend CalArts but the problem is that I have been accepted to the 3yr program. So this is how it stands currently -

CalArts - with $150k in debt
Art Center - with $100k in debt

I will be applying for financial aid again next year(didn’t get much anywhere this year because I am an international applicant) as well as working on the campus, internships etc. Basically anything to earn money to fund my education. But yeah, CalArts or Art Center!

I guess I am not getting any responses because it looks like a classic case of someone asking strangers on the internet to choose a school for them. Let me put this again in a better way.

When I was applying to schools I did so based on which schools were the most reputed. Big mistake, yeah. A month back I actually read up as much as I could on every school, here and other places. After which I eliminated a few schools outright even if I got through them. I think the one that matched my interests the best was CalArts. I could just see myself being the happiest there. Art Center comes close, but the futuristic bent they have in their work doesn’t excite me as much as the form driven work at CalArts.

So what I am really asking is this - Is what I am gathering from their websites and student galleries how the scene actually is? I cannot afford to visit either of the schools before making a decision so I need help from people who know more about the school.

Second question. I know this finally depends on me, but based on personal experience, do you think it is wise to spend an extra $50k to be at the place where you fit in the best?

Thanks.

From the financial perspective, think of it this way. If you were to receive no scholarships or financial assistance and had to take out the full amount of your college experience in loans, and you planned to pay off your debt in 15 years, CalArts repayments would probably average around $1,331.53 a month.

Loan Balance: $150,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Term: 15 years
Monthly Loan Payment: $1,331.53
Number of Payments: 180

Cumulative Payments: $239,674.11
Total Interest Paid: $89,674.11

If you were to attended Art Center you would be looking at a monthly payment of $887.68.

Loan Balance: $100,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Term: 15 years
Monthly Loan Payment: $887.68
Number of Payments: 181
Cumulative Payments: $159,783.63
Total Interest Paid: $59,783.63

That is a difference of about $440 per month in repayment.

Now of course your salary will increase with inflation and pay raises, but let’s estimate that you’ll be averaging a salary of $65,000 for those 15 years, CalArts repayments will take up about 25% of your salary whereas Art Center repayments would take up about 16% of your salary.

Most people suggest that to remain financially stable, loan repayments should not occupy more than 15% of your total income, ideally keeping it around 10%.

All that being said, these numbers are in the EXTREME situation of you not receiving any aid. Also, your average salary may end up being significantly higher which changes things.

If you think that you will do better at CalArts then you could make an argument that perhaps you will be a better student, possibly receive better scholarship offers, and graduate a more employable hire with a higher starting salary. I think that the financial costs are significant enough for you to seriously consider the implications on your financial future from (potentially) taking on an addition $50,000 in debt, BUT, and it’s a big but, this is your future, and if this is truly your passion, then you should be willing to smartly invest in yourself. If you think this investment will lead to greater future returns for you, then I say go for it. But take the time to consider the ramifications.

I cannot afford to visit either of the schools before making a decision so I need help from people who know more about the school.

This is a $150,000 decision.

Go visit both schools.

You’re young, you can find a way. Steal a car, hold up a cabbie, do your friend’s chores for a year for a free ride, hitchhike, or something.

When you visit, there will be a clear and easy (read: educated and intelligent) answer in most cases.

My friend got his Masters at CalArts and loved it. For Graphic Design, it’s a great place to go.

If your were into Automotive design or something along those lines, Art Center would be great.

For a cheaper experience, go to the University of Houston!! They have a great Graphics Program and it’s cheap to live here!

I see what you’re saying but I am an international student. It will be ridiculously expensive for me. About $2000 minimum. And that is IF I get a quick visa.

Thanks a lot for that information. It certainly helps putting things in perspective. And I believe that if I am good, I’ll be good at either of these schools, so certainly I can’t make that argument. I guess I am more worried about not feeling ‘at home’ at Art Center.

I can see that this is a simple case of a smarter decision financially vs. a decision based purely on what you want to do. And it is a decision which I need to take soon. I am just worried about taking one and then realizing I was misled(by the school websites) after I end up there.

missed the bit about being an international student, ouch.

I suppose keep asking around, try to find some current students or alumni online, and ask them about their experience directly.

good luck

Anyone been to either of these schools(for graphic design or some other field)? I searched the forum already and found details for SVA, Parsons, even Art Center but not much on CalArts. I know this is primarily an ID forum, but just hoping that someone would know.

I tried mailing current students. The surprising thing is that each one of them favored their school and tried to show the other in bad light.

When I think of Calarts for design, I think of graphic design and especially animation. These programs are highly ranked.

However, for ID and especially transportation design, those are the strengths of Art Center and what Art Center is known for.

Thanks to everyone. I finally chose CalArts based on what I really wanted to do. Art Center wasn’t as suited for my interests.

Good luck!