Toyota Tundra "Killer Heat" Commercial

You may have seen this Toyota Tundra commercial during the SuperBowl.

I’ve railed about post-produced automobile commercials for years (ever since Volvo got popped by the FTC for reinforcing the roof of one of their sedans (insinuating the inherent strength of their cars) so that another Volvo could drive over it.

I was sure that this commercial was computer generated, or at least a portion of it .

Boy, was I wrong. :blush:

Jeepers that’s bad ass. The ‘making of’ video sells the truck better than the commercial does!

I get the incline being hell on the tranny, but don’t really see how the fire could do much. most of it is going straight up so I doubt a lot of heat would be on the truck itself…

still, kinda neat, but ya, the actual commercial didn’t do much for me. I’d have rather seen a truck pulling some weight up a dry ski jump hill at 60 degrees tilt for like 200m or something. that would have been more impressive, IMHO.

R

I thought it interesting, in the “how it was made” video, that they fine-tuned the “heat” when one of the directors noticed a burning plastic smell . And since they didn’t really explain why they ran the gauntlet o’ flames we’re left guessing that it was to thermally finish off the tranny after it climbed the grade. And fluid coolers…???

If you watch the video a couple of times you will see the trailer being craned back to the ground; we can probably safely assume that they flew the truck back down as well. I mean r-e-a-l-l-y… what kind of self respecting truck driver would ever admit to not being able to back his load.

I’ve had to work at heights of eighty feet twice, and I was harnessed and tied off. But walk up, let alone, drive up an eighty foot tall helix with no safety back up… :open_mouth:

And speaking of Toyota, this morning the US Department of Transportation announced that NASA has been tasked with investigating the possibility of cosmic ray interference, or other electromagnetic sources being responsible for Toyota’s Unintended Acceleration dilemma?

Hmmm, I wonder if Toyota is going to get an invoice for those services… … ?

try driving east out san diego on the 8 during holidays. burned up trannys and brakes all over the sides of the freeway pulling rigs to the desert.

still, back on topic, the heat exhangers for the transmission would be near the center of the car and low, most likely integrated in the radiator or in front of it. pretty far from the heat of the flames.

the differential would be working overtime, tho, especially a torsen with that constant left turn uphill.

the center of the car and low, most likely integrated in the radiator or in front of it. pretty far from the heat of the flames. … the differential would be working overtime, tho, especially a torsen with that constant left turn uphill.

I’ll bet Toyota didn’t count on you being in the audience…

Apparently everyone missed the making of the making of the Toyota Tundra “Killer Heat” Commercial. The whole making of video was actually CG. Pretty realistic right!? They definitely are making a run for the money against Avatar in the realism area.

Yeah, it’s pretty impressive and all, but it’s still not as good as Old Spice “I’m on a horse.”

“Tranny” ha ha snicker snicker…but you probably laugh when I ask for the fag machine.

…but you probably laugh when I ask for the fag machine.

What do cigarettes have to do with this?
fag machine.jpg

LMO: That would be a great school project, or side project: imagine a cig vending machine for 2011. Even in Canada, I haven’t seen a cig vending machine in years.

And we could do a long overdue refresh on the product as well…

It’ really too bad I can’t PS worth a damn… this would be a great base to start from.

The last time I paid any real attention to a cigarette vending machine they were $.35USD a pack.