marker work

I have a question on doing a old school marker rendering. Could I make my line sketch one size and then reduce it for the color work with my markers instead of doing it all at the large size? Any of you pros on this board do that? Thanks.

Use a photocopier (or scanner/printer) to reduce the original drawing.

when hand rendering, I almost always color up a photocopy… in case I screw it up…

I’ve tried this before and had some issues. How do you get rid of the pixilated details when you scan or copy a drawing before laying down some marker? Because when you go to scan in the final rendering the pixilated mess becomes even worse.

I’ve also noticed that some printers mess with the paper’s texture after printing out the copied image. It kind of adds a clear coat to the surface so the marker’s ink does funny things like smear or bleed off in unexplained directions. Have any of you ever noticed this?

I believe color photocopiers lay down some oil or other coating which messes with the marker application. I used to do all of my color work on B&W photocopies, but haven’t touched that method in a few years now. The marker matters as well - Prismacolor worked well, but Chartpak would smear the toner (controllable for effect…)

-Douglas Carpiaux

I knew I couldn’t have been the only one experiencing this issue.

Doug, thanks for clearing this up and saving my sanity.

definitely use a B+W copier, and prisma’s or trias, or a denatured alcohol based marker.

So a B&W copier won’t lay down this oil or coating on the printer paper that a color copier will? If not, nice and thanks for the tip yo.

In my experience the B+W copiers don’t lay that down… make sure you use an uncoated bond paper for B=W copiers… coated leaves smudges. I use a recycled bond because it is toothier and makes the markers very matter… it eats up markers, but I like the way it works…

Yeah, we’ve got some paper with a nice tooth to it. I’ll give it a try.

You could always scan it to illustrator-live trace-resize and print. It adds a little extra time, but it helps with the pixel problem.

I’m no pro, but I always work a little smaller on marker renderings (8.5x11 and smaller). For me, working smaller allows me to be more confident, and less worried about mistakes. This helps me come out with a more loose “fresh” drawing, and makes me more likely to experiment.