confused about ID

Hi all. I’m a 22 yr old thinking from Singapore.

I have a diploma in Mechatronics engineering from a local polytechnic thinking of pursuing Industrial Design. Thing is, I don’t know if I have a misconception about industrial design.

I have always wanted to express myself through design. Thinking of ways to combine aesthetics and technology together to create products that will integrate into modern living.

I am always curious of the way people behave towards products, how to effectively use materials for designs and effective manufacturing methods.

I use to help out in a jewelery company that uses innovative metals to make their products and I have helped to create design solutions for their clients.

After serving in the army for 2 years, I find myself very confused about which path to take.

Would appreciate advice from industrial designers! HELP!

Sam

I am always curious of the way people behave towards products, how to effectively use materials for designs and effective manufacturing methods.

If you are curious about how people perceive products, Industrial Design could be the right path.

Go to http://www.idsa.org for the full definition of Industrial Design. Good luck!

Singapore has lots of product design… I think you should find a couple local companies, find a few employee names. Contact these designers and tell them what you’re interested in doing, then invite them to lunch (you pay) .

Most people want to help other people when they have a time - they would tell you a little about what they do and what the career is like.

If people are busy, try others.

some of the people who design jewelery have a background in the arts and crafts, they are very hands-on, making individual pieces one at a time. This may also interest you, as they sometimes transition to the design for mass production roles.

I have a tried my hands on jewellery making in my uncle’s workshop, he happens to be a jeweller. Yet he tells me jewellery making is a long journey, once you are in it, you never get out.

I love luxury products and believe very much in making them personal, and I do love to read up alot on them. Ultimately my greatest passion is in designing lifestyle products. The things that we use everyday, that makes like so much easier and hopefully aid in earths recovery.

Sadly, I find it very difficult to transfer the ideas to paper. They somehow vapourize in my mind just before I pen them down.

Now that I want to apply to CCAD, but I can’t compile a portfolio.

Help?