Clueless

Hello everyone! Quite new here. Is this website all about design? Real interesting.
In any case, I have a few questions that I suppose can be answered by the professional people here! To broaden my mindset I suppose.

I have always wondered what an Industrial Designer actually does. Researching such a topic on the Internet leads me to Wikipedia which not necessarily gives a definite answer. Does it mean designing everyday products like furniture and appliances only? Or can an Industrial Designer actually specialize in something, lets say vehicle design? You know like cars and stuff.

Nevertheless, I have something else to inquire.

I am a student waiting for enrollment into an institution here in Singapore which is offering ‘Product & Industrial Design’ as a course of study. I don’t know if anyone has posted this before, but, what exactly is the difference between ‘Product’ and ‘Industrial’ design? Are they two completely different agendas or are they one and the same? And would this somehow affect my choice of career in the future; to be an Industrial Designer?

Thank you so very much for reading this topic. Looking forward to your feedbacks! (:

Design applies effectively to everything you touch that isn’t a building (architecture) or clothing (fashion).

Your shoes, phone, car, bicycle, backpack, chairs, computer, were most likely all touched by an industrial designer at some point.

Cars tend to be a specific field of ID called Transportation design, which has a higher focus on the sculptural and artistic aspects of design, whereas there is also a more technical and problem solving area of ID.

Product and Industrial design tend to be mostly interchangeable terms.

Ahh okay! Shoes. Even backpacks? I thought that was a Fashion Designer’s works. Now I understand. It actually encapsulates almost everything yeah? Ah, sculptural and artistic aspects. Transportation design definitely sounds complex.

In any case, thank you very much for your response Cyberdemon!

Think of Industrial Designers as Architects for Objects. It is not just the aesthetic side, but also how it functions, how it is made, who it is for, the strategy, the cultural relevance, how people use it… everything an architect does for a building in essence.

Architects for Objects. I shall keep that in mind.

Thank you so much for your feedback!