New kid in industrial design field

Can anybody help me with my problems?I need someone to guide me through this crisis.! I’ve just found out that i really love to study about industrial design but it seems to be too late for me to realize about this point.I have no experience or relevance background education that can support me for further education in this field.I wish to attend a graduate program in Industrial design but i don’t know where can i go for it.Everywhere require me to have a portfolio or degree that can support me.I do love design a lot and i believe that i have a potential to go for it but i just don’t know where can i apply for or start with it.

Anybody know anything about Art Institution in Seattle.Some of my friends suggest me to go there but i have no idea whether it’s good or not?

Please please anybody help me and give me some suggestion. Thank you

Edit

You don’t need a degree to get an ID job, it just helps more. Just ask my current boss, he only has a high school diploma and is now the creative director. I would also caution you about thinking graduate school is the answer, at a lot of schools graduate programs are more about helping you refine the skills you already have and are not interested in teaching you the fundamentals.

That said some will teach you everything, IIT in Chicago for example has people from all different backgrounds. Just make sure you find the right one. Shoot an email to Niti Bhan, she knows whats up.

I actually went to KU for undergrad and although it is a good school it has a heavy tilt on design research and not so much on doing actual product design, at least thats how I always felt about it. So the lesson is to do your research and ask around.

You might also be able to find some small shops that need help building things and not designing. But the experience of being involved in the process will teach you a lot about design and will help you steer your career in that direction.

Edit

Maybe its better now, I heard they brought some new people in.

Thank you you guys so much for some guide line and informations.I really appreciate it. I guess there’re so many people out there whom are facing the same problem as i do,or used to have a similar problem.I just hope that we can share our experience and try to figure it out. :smiley:

if you want to study ID, just go for it. The good thing about ID is that people who come from diverse backgrounds outside of the art community often excel from thier other experiences.

go for it!

The Art Institute of Seattle doesn’t even have a bachelors program in IDT much less a graduate program. The only thing they have so far is an AA.

But yes even though the school is frickin expensive you can benefit alot from their program.

You don’t need a degree to get an ID job, it just helps more. Just ask my current boss, he only has a high school diploma and is now the creative director. I would also caution you about thinking graduate school is the answer, at a lot of schools graduate programs are more about helping you refine the skills you already have and are not interested in teaching you the fundamentals.

This is absolutely correct. Instead of going back to school and getting a degree, which is cool when you tell people, but really doesn’t help get a job in ID,
I would spent lots of time working on a portfolio and possibly getting a internship at a design company.

Also Core77 is a huge resource for finding all kinds of things about IDT.