What headphones do you use?

I got the JBL Headphones for Christmas. I hadn’t used this style of headphones since the early 80s (yes, I’m that old). I got them because my Pixel 2 USB C connector sucks ass and can’t hold a connector in it for more than a few minutes before it squirts it out like a slimy pumpkin seed.

I love the sound quality of the full over-ear headphone, but I hate the airtight seal it makes around my ears. I am finding that I’m glad that it is winter and I can wear a toque to allow for some air dissipation. Is this a JBL issue, or does it apply to any of the over-ear headphones that have a vinyl/leather pad?

Most have the same type of sealed nature. The seal is created by a combination of the materialism, usually some good foam or enemies foam backing and the angle of curvature creating what is called clamping pressure. It allows for more bass and better noise canceling. The clamping pressure is something that is bottle debated. Different brands use different curvatures and amounts of clamping pressure, just like different footwear companies have different lasts. This creates fit preferences.

I’ve had my M50xBT headphones for about a year now, they’re practically surgically attached when I’m at work. Good sound although I miss the sharpness of my old MDR-7506.

I’ve been noticing more professional musicians using the M50x in recording studios, they are the new 7506. The silver ring on the cups make them easily recognizable at first glance.

I still love my Audio-Technica headphones after three years (well, other than the annoying Micro USB connector) but I can’t wait to get my hands on the new Sony XM5’s.

They look like they would have a nice fit with the angled oval cups. Jogging the headband inward is nicely done here so there isn’t a huge gap between the band and the head.

Are we allowed to inquire about buds here?

I have owned Bose over-the-ear headphones for quite some time. Now that covid is cured, I’m traveling again and I find them more annoying than I recall. I have come into some free Amazon money and I’d like to blow it on some noise-cancelling buds. The internet says the Sony buds are the best. Thoughts?

My Sennheiser RD 175s are still going strong after 7 years. I use them everyday and have never had the batteries run out during use. The leatherette skinned foam ear pads, although manages temperature well, will always flake out and is never a good quality solution for over ear cans. Replacements are US$35.

I’ve given up on in ears. Those little silicone ear tips tend to compact ear wax in my ear canal over time (TMI, sorry, but might be relevant to you)! So for buds I’ve switched to the ubiquitous Apple Air Pods. I’ve tried a few others but others tend to use capacitive touch UIs that are very sensitive. Reach up to adjust the fit and I find a song will skip or a call will hang up. The Apple UI is more limited but uses physical internal tip switches I believe instead of capacitive. You have to tap them quite firmly to activate the UI but no false positives.

So if you want in ears I’d consider the air pod pros that have that configuration and noise cancelling I believe.

On a related note, it is crazy how much business travel is back for me.