VIDEO>>>5 Minute sketch series

thank Yo very much for sharing.
but is there anybody can do my a favor? I can’t see the videos(both the video for sketching a neaker and the video for ckething Isomething), is there any plug-in or other I should install??
thanks

Did I just see pastel?! I still have my whole set from school sitting in my basement getting moldy.
Rog, do you have adblock, that used to affect my videos. If so, try scrolling so that a portion of the top of the video is covered, my videos would appear when I did that for some reason.

thanks for both the videos… really amazing videos…i learned so much by just observing you draw…

I can see ID students across the country trying to find that Rocko ruler on e-bay…hahaha

cool stuff, great to see !

Thanks guys. They are super fun to do, though intense. Pastel. Yes, Skinny, I went there.

Roger, not sure why they are not showing up for you. If Skinny’s suggestion doesn’t work we will try putting them on You Tube instead of Blip.

Below is a scan of the sketch as well as the warm I did right before. I do these on Sunday mornings, so I have to do a quick warm up before I jump into it. The perspective is a bit tweaked, and the contrast a bit low, but overall not bad for the time. If I had more time for an overlay, I would fix the perspective, make the screen darker, greek in some graphics on the screen, maybe get some headphones in there…

Any topic suggestions for August’s installment?

Amazing stuff man, does design director mean your at the highest level in design? I don’t mean to be rude but may I ask whats your salary? You must make a ton of money.

I’d like to see some rapid idea development (like a bunch of thumbnails)

What kind of pen are you using in the latest one? It looks like a ballpoint in the video but on the scan it looks more like a rollerball pen or maybe I am blind.

It is some kind of cheap rollerball. A pentell RSVP that was lying around. I’m not picky with pens… though I can’t sketch with any other pencil than a prismacolor.

i know this is a stupid question but here goes… i want to go into architecture so i need to improve my sketch skills/perspective… wat do i sketch to improve these two ?? i mean i doodle all the time but i guess ill probably need to sketch something seriously but i dont know what…boxes in perspective or wat…srry once again abt the stupid question and thank you in advance…a little advice would be greatly appreciated!

aahaa…some post bargin u doing there buddy…YO that was pure inspirational…i loved the whole 5 min series you have started, and of course as many have mentioned the pastel touch was very cool…my suggestion for the next series would be some sort of a handtool, something simple…i have not done a project on them at all and dont know how much time it would take to do one…but i have seen some very good design iterations on those…whatever you come up with …u have me waiting on the edge of my seat.

way to go…

cheers

Yo,

Really like the Video’s, great way to share some techniques. How about for the next one uping the complexity slightly. showing maye a couple views/ or how something works, or is used. Maybe assembling a page layout and a couple notes. Thanks again for the video’s

… though I can’t sketch with any other pencil than a prismacolor.

How comes? Every tutorial I ever come across seems to recommend Prismacolor. Yet when I go to the art shop, ask them about Prismacolor, they never seem to have any and then go on to say how they’re just the same as what they do have.

I’m guessing they’re just harder to find in the UK, but was just wondering how different they really are?

I’m not sure how they compare to what is available in the UK, but the prisma color is pretty soft, so you can get a lot of values and thicknesses out of it. A lot of designers here also like Verithins, which has a much harder lead… I can’t seem to sketch with them though…

I am re commenting that I want that Rocko’s Modern Life ruler! It rocks!

I really liked the demo, but as a newbie, it would be nice to hear your thoughts regarding what types of pens you are using, different techniques you are using… Why are some lines extended beyond the borders when others are carefully delineated at the edges? Just design flair?

You might need a time machine to 1992… it came from a Burger King Happy meal my kid brother got… and I promptly stole Rocko like a good big brother, and he has been with me ever since!

I think that would be 10 minutes! It is pushing it to get this much done in 5!

There are a lot of sketching demos that go more into depth on these things (check out some Gnomon DVD’s). For me, I usually extend the broader, more general strokes as I define the overall form. These tend to come from the shoulder and elbow. It helps me get the perspective, though I’m not perfect, the top line of the screen in the last sketch is pretty off, but I didn’t have time to correct it in the 5 minute time frame. The details tend to be much more deliberate, so I’m working with smaller strokes.

I’m using prisma markers and pencils, and a gel rollerball.

I went on Ebay and to kids meal toy collectors and it seems that Rocko’s Modern Life was forgotten about. Maybe I will find it in a garage sale.

Episode 3 is up… it pushed to 6 minutes this time, but I wanted to tackle this month’s 1HDC in as short a time as possible:

Check out the vid, guess the song:

Here is the sketch: