Unexpected places your designs have shown up

You gotta get her in the next catalog!

Not so mcuh scary as lame … with no disrespect for R, the thinks people mark themselves with never ceases to amaze me.

What’s with all the snowflake farkles, and flowers, and such… is this supposed to read as Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall?
miles to go.jpg
Now this, I understand…

Was checking out at a Falafel joint with my girlfriend and she noticed the stapler on beside the register was one that I had recently purchased as it was one I did some of the early concept work for and she pointed it out. We kind of smiled and laughed a bit and the woman ringing us up was wondering what we were laughing about and we said something to the effect that it was “my stapler.” She quickly responded, that it was indeed HER stapler. I should have chosen my words more carfeully, but we were excited… it was memorable.

The concepts I did were for the Half strip,

she had the quarter strip.

Always nice to see something in use in the wild. I bet you did not have the Falafel joint lady on your user persona board!

In the snowboard business we got several photos sent in of our designs tattooed on the user. Always found it unsettling, there is a limit to how far I want the design to reach.

It stays with you though, and are stories I often recite when mentioning memorable points in personal design history.

Certainly not, that’s one thing I love about this thread. You have your idea of who the end user will be (knowing that it will be much broader), but you never guess when and where you’ll run into things.

on the tattoo tip:
My friend and one of my mentors in school, Frankie Flood, had a fun experience with one of his designs.
http://www.frankieflood.com/home.html

He did a series of pizza cutters based on choppers/motorcycles as part of his Masters degree in metalsmithing.

Mike Isabella, a Chicago chef (former top Chef contestant) saw them and got this.

Tattoo artist reinterpreted the handle a bit, giving it a more brass knuckle feel.
A few of us saw Mike’s tattoo from and interview and were like, wait a minute…
somehow Frankie and Mike got to talking and Mike commissioned Frankie to make the pizza cutter from the tattoo.

Saw a corn dish I designed at a duty free. I mean, usually it’s more about saving taxes on alcohol and tobacco, but a corn dish?

Saw a parabolic heater i designed show up on the TV show Alaska Cops while they were raiding a poachers home…

Just saw a helmet I designed on a Ukrainian protester.

Nice! good to hear of a product being used to fight the good fight…

On Fringe :slight_smile:

Preface: In Wayne County (Detroit) morgue they have a display case with stuff they have found in the river, and stuff they have found in people.
My sister, a lawyer in Detroit, told me that an adult toy I designed was in the case…

I’ve seen a picture frame I did all over, to my dismay…

And a thing I did at a DARPA contractor got weaponized, which was a little surprising.

I put “Grown Ups 2” on the tv last night and saw a wall sconce I designed 3 years ago lining the hallways of the Sandler Household.

(screenshot from the tv)
photo3.JPG

Please let this:

be a result of this:

I sense a 1HDC in the making, and then quickly shut down by shocked moderators.

Oh, man. I bet we could find a way to make that one happen…

Bill Murray!

Nice!

You designed Bill Murray?

Outstanding!