Beats and Ammunition

I have a pair of the wireless Astro A50’s and they are geared towards gaming yes so they have a flip down mic and require the transmitter being hooked-up to devices via USB, but also optical if your device/computer has it. it has a 3.5mm aux input, but I’ve never used it in a mobile application or traveling, but I think that’s possible though. I’ve bought and returned wireless headphones in the past because of crummy audio and crackling, but the Astro’s receive the transmission (5.8ghz) flawlessly within a decent range. The frequency range is pretty good too 20hz-20,000hz.

You’re not likely to find them in stores often though I lucked out and GameStop had 1 new pair.

What I was most impressed with was the quality and attention to detail of their packaging, very nicely done.

I’d love to read an independent review.

Polk tied for first place with B&W and the K but 1/2 the price, Beats and Bose down the list.

This has always been my goto for IEM’s rankings.

Thanks guys. Any similar tests for on- or over-ear models? Since that was what Beats got noticed for…

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

The problem with these list are geared towards audiophile. So some of these require amps for optimal sounds. Although the second pair on that list are pretty good without an amp. (ATH M50) Almost went with those but there was a great black friday deal on the HD650’s.

Ive stopped trying to really dive deep into audio gear and usually just go with the most recommended bang for your buck headphones now. Otherwise id lose weeks/months of my life, obsessively researching all this.

Here they are compared to new Studio Beats.

For those interested, I thought Bloomberg actually did a pretty good piece on the whole Beats / Ammunition split.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-12/the-designer-behind-beats-bulky-look-gets-ready-to-bow-out

Saw an ad the other night for the new monopoly game. The are pushing that you can “own” Beats by Dre. Seems to me like a really odd partnership.

Nobody here talking about AIAIAI, I got the TMA 1-X a few months ago. The quality of the sound is very good, having a pretty neutral balance. They are also very light, quite comfortable and I like the aesthetics. Personally, I find Beats very bulky and the worst part is that the quality of the sound doesn’t match the price tag. I have never had the chance to try Polk, so I can’t really say anything about them.

A couple people in the office have AIAIAI models - they look good, seem to hold up well to daily designer-abuse, and good to know they sound OK.

I like.

@Slippyfish - I’d definitely recommend them. A friend of mine bought the TMA-1 Studio after trying mine and he’s very happy with them. It looks like I might get a share of the sales, but it’s just that I think they make great headphones :slight_smile:

Thanks for the intro to the AIAIAI headphones. the TMA-1 Studios I looked up have stuck with me for days…

It is the essence of a set of headphones, nothing extra and each detail in a harmony of scale. When I imagined design as a kid, this is the simplicity and refinement I imagined everything adult should be. Form perfection stripping away all that identifies or subscribes to trends. The anti-Beats. Just what I needed to see. Sold one more pair.

I wanted to refrain from commenting as I have worked on Beats Audio equipment for over a year but since I am no longer involved and others have plugged their wares here, I couldn’t resist to state that the above statement is taking it a little far, no?

Not to take anything away from AIAIAI and KiBiSi, it’s great work and I respect the design but to say that Beats doesn’t have clean “simplicity and refinement”, I would take as an insult and mention the Mixr as an example.
So… I’d rather say that the TMA-1 is more at the other end of the spectrum of say Skullcandy.

Well, I wouldn’t call AIAIAI the anti-Beats, probably SkullCandy would fit best with that description. However, both brands have quite different approaches. AIAIAI goes more for the quite, pure design with geometric volumes. Even the logo is hidden in the inner side of the headband. The colors, materials and finishes are also quite different. The marketing is also quite different, going more for the underground and audiophile. Beats is much more trendy and lousy, intended for a bigger range of customers. They are even sponsoring football players like Neymar. I think there is where this sentence nxakt said fits.

Form perfection stripping away all that identifies or subscribes to trends. The anti-Beats

PS. Those Mixrs don’t look bad at all, but then I’m not sure the difference in price (50 USD) would make them that attractive for me.

Not meant to be insulting, I don’t know the full Beats line, the Mixr looks nice, Photoshopped below is the way it would impress the part of me that wants a stripped down aesthetic without wearing a logo on my head. Blacked out with no attention calling elements.

The Mixr design is undeniably good and subtle, I enjoy the proportions, but is still has a design “stamp”, the TMA-1 has less of a design voice, just distilled. I like that.

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly.

Black, featureless, mysterious, capable of omnipotent reach.

I want those 'phones based on name alone.

No worries, Shaw. Wasn’t really offended. :wink:

The line extensions and marketing with colorful cross branding and funky CMFs have always lived a life of their own with the brand.
It easily distracts from the actually quite geometric and sophisticated details with a lot of integrity in the design language across the models.

Anyway, it is all in the eye of the beholder but I thought it would be useful to the thread to not talk about David Guetta or Neymar, but rather about the actual design.

Personally I am using the flat black new Wireless Studios

But I also like what Beats did together with Snarkitecture recently.

Never refrain :slight_smile: Not here.

I really love the look of those flat black ones but the Snarkitecture collaboration was one thing that triggered this thread for me wondering whether Beats is still as valuable without Ammunition. When I saw the Snarkitecture release on other sites it came across to me like the focus was on this new awesome white marble block the headphones sit on making them more expensive rather than any meaningful changes to the headphones themselves.

When you dominate a market and become ubiquitous, creative minds in a brand and marketing look for strategies to stay edgy and to meet the sectors of the market that avoid the mainstream. Swatch did this in Europe with releasing very small collector batches of watches in unusual places. One was a series of vegetable watches that were only sold once in a actual vegetable morning street market. Collector value was high. They were able to maintain the buzz of their brand for a long time.

[Edit: The Snarkitecture marble pillow resting place concept I really like, it calls to mind the classical history of marble sculpture, statues in the Louvre, the earliest expressions of skeuomorphism, making stone look like something else. It is an over the top, extravagant and calls to mind that the original works were often funerary works. I like the cynicism.]
The Snarkitecture set, looks more like resin poured in a plastic bag than actual marble. (Just read the Snarkitecture page “cultured marble” lol, = white gypsum cement as per their previous iphone pillow.) This seems a stab at exclusivity, an actual carved (hand or CNC) marble pillow would be more meaningful, even if the price was $2400. Maybe they need a collaboration with Mr. Koons as it has crossed into the art/commercial territory. :smiley:

My personal desire for a stripped down aesthetic is obviously not a mainstream direction. Trend subscription and designing for the trends of the market are what build billion dollar brands and huge audiences of loyal consumers. Listening to, and designing for aspirations of the users is far more important that trying to make each “thing” the ultimate design.