LCD monitor, down to 2 choices

Since I can’t bring my nice CRT with me during the summer, I’ve decided to grab a LCD and possible sell it later.

Here are 2 choices I’ve narrowed down:

SONY SDM-HS74P XBRITE 17" DIGITAL LCD MONITOR
Price $315 shipping included
Res:1280 x 1024
Respond time:16ms
Brightness:400 cd/m2
Contrast ratio:500:1
Dot pitch:0.264mm H/V
90 day manufacturer warrenty

ACER 17 in LCD FLAT PANEL BLACK MONITOR (AL1715b)
Price: $250 Shipping included
Res:1280 x 1024
Respond time:12ms
Brightness:300 cd/m2
Contrast ratio:500:1
Dot pitch:0.264mm H/V
3 yr manufacturer warrenty

Differences in terms of Pros

Sony::
Brightness, 400cd/m2 as opposed to Acer’s 300
Sony has a digital input, Acer is analog

Acer::
$65 Cheaper
12ms respond time as opposed to Sony’s 16
3 yr manufacturer warrenty as opposed to Sony’s 90 days.

Of course the Sony looks a lot sleeker, but I don’t care for that. Both articulates similarly. The sony has a wider angle adjustment. The Sony will definitely produce better picture, but the Acer is a lot cheaper with much better respond rate, so I can watch motion pictures without any ghost images.

I’m no gammer though.

Any suggestion?

90 days on the Sony?!? What does it say to you that they are only willing to guarantee the quality of their product for 3 months?

I’m working on a pair of 19" BENQ (same company as Acer) lcds that I like very much. Are they pretty? Not really. But then, it takes alot of work to make a 1/2 inch plastic frame ugly.

I know it is about double the price of what you have listed but why not get the mac now 20 in. screen for 799$.

I think there screen would out perform what you have listed.

Nah. The reason why I need a LCD is because I need it to be compact enough to fit in my car among other things.

I went for a LG Flatron instead.

DELL
UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

$549.00

I agree. This Dell actually usues the identical LCD display that’s in the Apple monitors…

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000020041567/

That doesn’t mean it will look as good as an Apple display. Actually, it doesn’t mean squat.

Apple makes use of other components including a different diffusor and lighting.

It’s an lcd monitor. Which basically means the only part you can make look good is the base … never mind that most of these end up of VESA mounts anyways …

And, while Apple may make use of some components that Dell does not, Dell makes use of some components that Apple does not, such as multiple video inputs.

Is the Apple a better display? Possibly. Is the Apple $250 better? Doubtful

Before the the Apple VS Dell debate spins out of control, let me just say that using the identical LCD display may not mean squat, but the posted link to the review does mean a LITTLE something…wouldn’t you agree?

Also it seemed to me from molested_cow’s post that he wasn’t all that concerned about “top of the line” as much as “bang for the buck,” and not “breaking the bank.”

agreed with what nate said-on bang for buck and what he was probably looking for…

I would just look at it like what would I want in the long run-who’s to say that you will be able to sell it later on, I would go for the one that is a lil more of what you need an that way you have it for awhile. I think of it as an investment.

Well, LG makes Apple’s monitors, and Dell’s getting the technology from LG, so I got a LG Flatron instead. It has similar spec as the Acer with 3 yrs of warrenty, looks hella better and is about $30 more.

Most importantly, it’s digital!

="phoompIt’s an lcd monitor. Which basically means the only part you > can > make look good is the base … never mind that most of these end up of VESA mounts anyways …

And, while Apple may make use of some components that Dell does not, Dell makes use of some components that > Apple > does not, such as multiple video inputs.

Is the Apple a better display? Possibly. Is the Apple $250 better? Doubtful

???

Why are you talking about the physical appearance? I was referring to the quality of the image you seen on the screeen…

I have the Dell 24" widescreen. pure heaven!

I use Samsung SyncMaster 172W…note the W=widescreen. I like how my working windows are rectangular, not square which is more comfortable in terms of proportions.
AS for Acer, there’s a new one coming out called AL1951, its designed by a buddy of mine and looks like a winner but don’t know when it will reach USA.

LG’s newL1980Q is so far the best looking LCD on the market with great spec and folding design.

I’d go with the Dell 20" wide or 24" wide. Make sure your graphics card can support it.