1HDC 08.02 - Submissions

Since Milwaukee basically only has one beautiful object, other than Miller Brewing Co., I used the the Milwaukee Art Museum for this one.

COPENHAGEN 2012. Simple Danish cues, bent wood, aluminum, and leather.

I took a more of a organic theme in relation to my city. In many malaysian design or fashion they draw inspiration from nature. Batik or baju kabaya is traditional fashion which is prominant throughout malaysiian culture.

The threads refract the light of the flame. The flicker and life of the flame can be depicted by looking at the threads. Colour variation of the threads will give life to the torch.

Here is my take on the Olympic torch 1hr challenge. Based around the path of the Thames through the city, as well as making references to the tube map.

My first post, so hope it works.

db

Heres my submission for a New York torch. Inspired by the statue of liberty, and the majestic way that she holds the torch, a symbol of unity for many people who come to the US.

As I lived in “The D” and sadly still consider it my hometown I designed one for 2008 Detroit.

1/2 hour to design and model, ashamedly 4x that to texture/render.

I incorporated the St. louis arch into my design because it is a physical manifestation of the pioneering spirit that the olympic games embodies. It stands as a marvel of human achievement in the same way that olympic athletes pursue the very fringes of human performance. They both aspire, and are triumphant.

I also included an abstract reference to the Spirit of St Louis airplane whose construction was funded by the people of St. Louis. It too represents the very idea that nothing is impossible; that through sheer determination and force of will all obstacles can be overcome.

Unfortunately 1 hour isn’t alot of time, so my 2 views dont match. I started with the side view and a very literal representation of the arch. When I went back to solidify the front I decided to do a more dynamic representation and didn’t have enough time to go back to modify the side.

my design is for the city of amsterdam in the netherlands.
the main body of the torch is made from glazed earthenware in the style of delftware, with the olympic rings being handpainted in the traditional blue on both sides.
the dutch coastline is cast into the side of the torch at the top, showing how the country communicated and traded with the rest of the world through its seaports, rivers and waterways. the overall shape is reminiscent of a rudder for this reason also. as the canals move further inland, they become linear, emphasizing both the agricultural produce of the country, produced in fields surrounded by water, and also the work of the dutch artist mondrian. finally the lines meet side by side, showing the path into an uncertain future for a country which depends on constant evolution to survive.

cheers,
Liam

Lets not forget our past as we move into the future.
Traditional aussie red cedar mixed with a fresh australian sail touch.

t-40mins, excluding time to clean up dog piss.

The Golden Gate Bridge Torch. The flames pass through the three triangle sections and out of the top, heatproof glass plates on either side enable a safe view of the flames inside. It took me about an hour on ‘ProDesktop’ and ‘Picture It’.

This is my concept. This for the city where i live, Adelaide, but the idea is that the wooden peice on the top can be created for any city by local artists of that city. It wouldn’t have to be aboriginal art, could be anything.

My torch for india inspired by the lotus and the burning ‘third eye’ of knowledge…

Come and say G’day mate!

stylised version of traditional indian musical instrument
speaks about the indepth role of music in india .

this torch is designed for berlin with a modern, but typical German character: clean, sophisticated, minimal and well-defined proportion. in the front of the torch, we can see the olympic ring, berlin-logo and german flag.

thx

Masdar is a planned city in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates. Designed by a British architectural firm, the city will rely entirely on solar energy, with a sustainable, zero-carbon, zero-waste ecology. The city is being constructed 17 kilometres (11 mi) east-southeast of the city of Abu DhabiMasdar City - Wikipedia

The torch uses hand powered (dynamo system) optical fiber lighting, working as a sustainability symbol.

ingolstadt is home to Audi headquarters so it is only appropriate that they would design the olympic torch. This quick sketch features a chrome exhaust tip, audi grill and vents as well as a leather grip handle. Had to get this idea out of my head, now its back to my studio project and a looming all nighter

Only had 15 minutes, Sorry for the quality.

Kansas City home of BBQ and imperial teams (Royals, Chiefs, Kings)

From Vessel Ideation in Chicago.

Taking inspiration from the engineering heritage of Scotland’s capital city