What's with the refreshes in 2009????

I don’t really know what to think about these. I like the design. It is fun, corky, and kind of fits target’s look, but I think I preferred the old Archer farm. It does not seem to fit the brand. The old design gave them a real farm feel. As if it was some organic premium food that was special because you could only buy it at target. I always envied this product for that reason. It did not look private label, it had a great presents and not to mention they always did well during the holidays because they were perceived as premium.

This one just says Partridge Family too me. It once again has a very private label look (I know it is). I guess I would just have to see it on shelf to really get a feel for how it would all come together.

All valid points, but I like the gutsyness of it and I think it just switches from a premium American look, to a premium Euro look. It’s far from perfect… Some of the elements could be tweaked for sure. But, it’s a big, fun, reductively stylish slap to the face. And, how many people that are drifting into the main buyer demographic at Target even remember The Partridge Family (not that I don’t agree with the visual ties with the colorful animals and 70’s styling)?

I agree. Like I said, I think if I see it on shelf it may be a bit better for me. I think this might be one of those that will grow on me. I really like the styling and I think it looks fabulous I was just questioning the fit.

This would seem to fall into the “repackage” category, but it may also fall into the “truth in advertising” column as well.

Yesterday at the grocery I went to pick up a roll of aluminum foil and noticed, side by side with it’s “regular” product, that Reynolds now offers foil from 100% Recycled aluminum.

from the website: http://www.reynoldsrecycled.com/about.html

* Food-safe foil made from a mix of pre and post consumer aluminum. - What happened to the bit about 100% recycled aluminum?
* The packaging and core are made from 100% recovered paper and the inks used on the product packaging are water-based.

“Food-safe foil” - I’m sure that most consumers are unaware of the temperatures at which aluminum is extruded and rolled. I’m envisioning the average house wife thinking that sticky old beer cans are thrown into a big roller and flattened into foil. They’d freak out if they knew that the milk bottle in the refrigerator was filled immediately after forming, without going through a “sterilization” process.

I would have bet a buck that it has always been recycled aluminum from the beginning. The big surprise? You will pay more for “green”; the new “recycled” roll is $.31 more per roll than the equivalent square footage of “regular” product.

Paying more for “Green” has been going on for quite some time now. I think this is happening for multiple reasons, but the two big ones are 1) It cost more to be green and 2) It is a perfect way to attract consumers. The problem with this “Green” movement is that consumers still do not understand what it is all about. They are more educated than they were 10 years ago, but they still do not understand what needs to go into a product or package to make this happen.

Some of the refreshes just seem so pointless. Check out this one for Silk Soy Milk. Same volume, same package, just a skin job:

On the right…

“Fresh New Look, Same Great Taste” … now in bilingual flavors; vanilla, and vainilla … la leche de soya totalmente naturales! - en medio galón.

Double the market. … ?

But the one on the right is so much more exciting with that burst behind it!

But the one on the right is so much more exciting with that burst behind it!

y de forma más deliciosa

The wave packaging is fun because it unifies the entire shelf with the big blocks of the same product.

Saw this ad in the paper. Haven’t had a chance to take a look at it at the store:

This may have been driven by the fact that they were facing a lot of lawsuits for their products. Seeing a lot of lower case on packages lately.

I think it looks nicer than the old one, and that’s reason enough sometimes i guess?? Just to “bring stuff along” sometimes, not much different than carryover footwear refreshes is it? My GF does use silk, and i did notice this package in the fridge the other day… i spent about 2 seconds looking at it when i opened the fridge… which is about 1.90 seconds longer than i usually would look at packaging in there :slight_smile:

They probably did a focus group and one person was bummed there weren’t flakes and strawberries in the carton. :unamused:

Maybe they did a marketing study and realised people consumed more when they drank it rather than just put it on their cornflakes…

“I think we need to make sure people know it’s not just for their cereal in the morning”

I’m not one to say “they don’t make 'em like they used to”… but this has me thinking that:

Ive been pretty busy lately and am just now getting caught up on the blogs. Those can and bottles are gorgeous and that style is coming back. The issue is that some are not taking it all the way and it comes off as cheap. Here are a few examples where they mix that style with modern design.
popshoppe1.jpg
izze1.jpg

The Pop Shoppe ones are the original vintage designs or if not 100% very close. I remember them as a kid and have found them a few places here in TO.

R

That is cool and I commend them if they have kept their branding for that long. I personally have not seen the product or ever had it. I just pulled it out of my photo collection of interesting packaging.

Apparently Canada’s oldest pop brand since 1969

You can see the graphics have been virtually (if not at all) changed since 1969. As I think I remember they sold them originally (at least when I was a kid, early 80s must have been) from one store, and you could bring back your empties to be refilled or recycled. They were cheap, but had neat flavors (and still do) like Lime Ricky, Cherry Cola, Rootbeer, Orange, in addition to the standard ones.

I had actually forgot all about them until a year or so ago when I saw them at a restaurant and went looking to see where I could buy them because the pkg was so cool. I found them now only distribute to a handful of places here in TO and around. Looks great in the fridge when guest come by!

R