What's with the refreshes in 2009????

That’s a good little article.
I had a good laugh over the Blackwater/Xe name change

I find it stands alone in being the only company I know where they don’t want the brand to reflect what it actually does. It looks more like a bookstore logo or something to me.

They should put in a couple of crossed guns and a rising fist :slight_smile:

Ah, from what I understand many brands went towards simplification of their brands because the shelves were just a colorful mess. Consumers were having a hard time identifying the critical pieces of information amoungst the existing package which ended up in a sale for the company and the brand itself was getting lost amoungst all the other brands in the aisle. Since most purchasing decisions were made at retail, this was a big issue they needed to resolve quickly.

When Coca Cola simplified their packaging, it actually made their packages pop off the shelf as compared to the others that were currently there.

I believe what we’re seeing now is that alot of people have identified this success and now following the same path.

I really like the new “baked” packages. Earthy tones, matte finish on the bags. Clean and simple.

Earthy tones, matte finish on the bags. Clean and simple.

Lays = Frito-Lay

I agree optimistic those Lays bags are pretty nice.

R,

I was thinking the same thing about the “Obama Effect”. I was thinking of it more being around the need for something new and the need for change. With the campaign of a lifetime, all that was in the media was about the need for change and a new start. Maybe this is what these brand refreshes are all about. Maybe it is more about the consumer wanting something new and giving them the impression that the brand has a "new start” I know this may sound crazy, but everyone in this economy is looking for a rebirth or a new beginning and that maybe the strategy here. “If we show that we are changing our brand than that may mean that we are going through a rebirth.”

Just an off the wall thought, but thought it was worth posting.

RITZ and OREO are straight out of the 70s.

The Shredded Wheat is nice and simple. Perfect description of whats inside, not much more.

I really dig those new sun chips bags. For some reason they just feel better in your hands. However, the trade off is that’s another example of package downsizing as those bags are smaller for the same price. Here’s a couple more sneaky recent examples:

i agree totally. now i hardly even want to pick up those old foil bags. i think i have associated them with greasy bad for you chips, and the new bags just have a better feel.

i agree totally. now i hardly even want to pick up those old foil bags. i think i have associated them with greasy bad for you chips, and the new bags just have a better feel

Great example of how packaging can change ones perception.

from the article: The 14 oz. Pint and Other Downsized Products — Part 1 – Mouse Print*

As noted in the article, the slight taper of the “one pint” container, compared to the 14 oz. container, would be hardly noticeable to most consumers (unless seen side-by-side).

The down-sizing of “bagged” products would be completely invisible, except for the weight printed on the package. And we all know that bagged snacks seldom occupy more than 50% of the bag’s volume. Other than “headroom” I think it is as much to provide an ample viewing area for the sales pitch. Same goes for breakfast cereals.

Which caused me to wonder about those internationally marketed Pringles cans . … there are so many combinations of flavors, and weights (grams, and both avoirdupois, and troy ounces) a direct comparison is virtually impossible.

Needless to say, from the packagiers point of view, there would never be a dull moment at Proctor & Gamble.

Caveat emptor.

Even the private labels are revamping:

From

To

Seeing the new packaging in stores, it certainly stands out next to more colorful packaging from almost everyone else. The “Great Value” logo really pops, though, and looks like they have too much ‘brand ego’.

I remember recently seeing a jug of OJ sold as “New convenient 94oz. size!” when before it was 100oz or so. Of course the price was the same.

Seems some things are headed this direction…
Darhmabeer.jpg

Seems some things are headed this direction…

Seems some things are headed back in this direction … this time on a twenty-five year cyc;e.

Generic beer was starting to show up in black-on-white containers in the early eighties.

But not as generic as in the early 1840’s when you fetched your beer from the local tavern in your own beer pail. During this period most beer was brewed locally (on the neighborhood level (micro breweries; another old “new” idea)) and was much safer to drink than local water supplies in many cities. Prohibition ended this practice, after which the breweries started using single serving bottles.

I saw this Wal-Mart Great Value packaging a few months back. I am happy to see that they have finally brought everything together and have given it all a cohesive look, however I think it gives off a very pharmaceutical feel. It is not inviting, it looks cheap (which I guess it is) and like the other posts above it reminded me of the Dharma food on lost. (Maybe that is why the are on the island. You know Wal-Mart is the evil empire.)

Noticed Target has a new House brand. Graphically much nicer than their previous, and looks much more inviting to purchase.

That IS the Dharma food on Lost isn’t it ?

I’d buy some

This does look much better than the walmart stuff. Target does a great job with their private label by knowing that each product fits different needs and require different packaging to communicate those needs.

A rebranding of Target’s Archer Farms label.

Love it! Pretty ballsy if it actually makes it all the way.

http://lovelypackage.com/archer-farms/

Ha, you’re right. The inside of the O and C are nearly, if not, identical.