Thinking of getting a new ride....rkuchinsky edition

There’s always one that got away. Either owned or almost.

Before my first classic Mercedes I almost bought a 1970 (I think) Porsche 912. It needed some work and I had never had a classic car so I passed. Would be fun and a keeper today. It was $10,00 or less. Would be worth lots today.

I also almost bought a near mint BMW CSi. Back before they got expensive. Geez.

The only car I still think of, and miss :frowning:
I owned it from new for eighteen years, but kids and a new home forced me to sell it :frowning:

1 Like

Back in my university days, driving around in a '91 Honda Civic, a local car dealer had an absolutely gorgeous MGB GT that I had some serious thoughts about…I loved the Honda but that MG was interesting, you know?

I thought better of it when I thought of the reality of classic British car maintenance. Still though, it’s the one that got away.

I can remember two cars that I wish I had bought when I was 18. One was a Honda 500 or 600 in a used lot in Florida. The thing was really dusty and probably didn’t run, but no rust and a complete interior that was pretty clean. It hadn’t moved for as long as I remember.

Another was a sea foam green Fiat Spyder that popped up on a lot in Florida. I never drove it, but boy was it beautiful. I’ve never seen one that clean again…

Did you get this one?

https://www.si.com/nba/bulls/off-the-court/michael-jordans-bmw-850i-sells-for-over-100k-at-auction

Saw that. I’d love an 850 some day but that not only has BaT tax but Jordan tax on the price :joy:

Volvo is in the shop. Got a Q5 rental.

I can’t believe how bad this is. Granted it’s probably a pretty base spec but for a “mid size luxury” SUV?

Look at this center console. I have so many questions.

Why is the 12V plug so prominent?
What fits in the compartment at the top? Too small for a phone. Too small for sunglasses.
Is that little slot compartment supposed to be for a phone on its side?
Why is the volume knob so tiny and far away?
Why is there so much blank space around the compartments? They could be useful.
Why does the shift knob move up/down for reverse and drive but the park is a button? You’d think P would be at one end of the shift throw.
Shouldn’t D be forward and R backwards?

This thing is large but small inside. Compared to my V90 there is less than half the trunk space and less space in the back seats to fit baby seats. I put a rear facing infant seat behind the driver seat and it was pretty much not possible to get the driver seat in a useable position. I’m only 5”10 if that.

/rant

I remember when I rented a Grand Cherokee. It was so tiny inside. These SUVs are kind of a rip off.

That centre console is pretty bad. It looks like five people who weren’t talking designed it.

They designed this during lockdown and most of Germany does not have 5G, yet.

(Half of the sentence above is true and half of it is a joke. Guess what‘s what…)

Why is the 12V plug so prominent?
I’m amazed it has a 12v socket, no one uses them anymore.

What fits in the compartment at the top? Too small for a phone. Too small for sunglasses.
Higher spec has a rotating lid on it (still too small and useless) so I’m assuming there is B structure to support that part. an after thought on the lower spec.

Is that little slot compartment supposed to be for a phone on its side?
HMI having a total internal stowage target and wanting maximum cubby volume regardless of its use. also, probably carry over from another vehicle.

Why is the volume knob so tiny and far away?
Standard part reuse.

Why is there so much blank space around the compartments? They could be useful.
The gear selector module is like an iceberg, it will be bolted directly down to the console main moulding and the fixings will be out board to allow tool access.

Why does the shift knob move up/down for reverse and drive but the park is a button? You’d think P would be at one end of the shift throw.
Shouldn’t D be forward and R backwards?

That is odd