The Official Hubless Wheel hater thread.

This bike concept uses hubless wheels but there aren’t electric motors or regenerative braking or carbon. Its completely out there and I don’t know if it works but I can’t hate on it too much… its like it was grown on planet Pandora. Its what we would all drive/ride in Ecotopia.

How does the pedaling works in a lying position like that (Dimensions seem rather strange to me…)? And can it steer?

Amazed that a design like this makes it to the finals of the Dyson awards…

Probably you can steer it with the pedals and it is propelled with
electric motors in the hubs of the hubless wheels.

mo-i

Or within the front wheel of course…

Well, they certainly look like pedals, although, as you mention it, the ergonomics look a bit out of whack… in the recumbent position the “control sticks” look like they would have to emerge from ones lower abdomen… I suppose they could be lights… but why the need for four ?

I used “control sticks” because of the link rod I see running back to the rear wheel(s) using a push-pull input on the controls. There are two ways to accomplish the task of steering 1) tradition king pin with a cross-over linkage to tie the two side together (there does appear to be a bit of “caster” (if you use your imagination)), or 2) warp the bamboo chassis to deflect the position of the wheels… this last method was used on the earliest aircraft; the wing tip was “warped” to increase or decrease it’s angle of attack and cause that the tips to increase/decrease lift resulting in a turn (if everything else went well…). Airbus is also considering it for use in their next generation transport aircraft.

I like the “convertible top” but wonder how often one has to water it to maintain any semblance of shade.

Wing warping control diagram - Wright Flyer, 1899.

edit -
Shoulda spent a little more time looking… … now there are even more questions about how this thing is supposed to work (since it has never been built…). Is that a cable that runs around a king pin pulley?!

http://student.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=2&applicationID=9521

The hubless wheels magically dissapeared, and the dimensions also look better now.

The hubless wheels magically dissapeared, and the dimensions also look better now.

And… the control handles moved to the outside of the seat.

I think this is a good example of how something got designed on a computer without any real understanding of what it was supposed to do, or how it might actually be constructed.

Should clarify, the design submitted to Aust design awards was completed in the very early stage of conceptualising research investigation in 2010 as a prelude for discussion for shape modified bamboo, and was completed well before intensive investigation for my Masters research. Primarily, I hoped to steer as far as possible away from previous recumbent velomobiles I’ve worked on in past years, specifically where the complexity of the steering linkages proved frustrating.
Since completing this form, significant modifications have been proposed for the frame to complete more of the ‘work’ without as much assembly intervention.
Did trial the steering linkage through using found bicycle chain and cogs, with a ‘captive’ attachment to prevent the chain being loose and act as a ‘stop’ for limiting steering range movement. The system worked, however, the main issue was maintaing even pressure on the controls to prevent a ‘loose’ feeling. While attaching tight return springs mitigated the feeling somewhat, it still felt like I was steering with one hand, which is why I swapped the system for something that would provide positive control feedback on both left and right controls.
The rear wheel assembly is still intended to utilise the hollow bamboo sections for attachment of swivel bearings (bearing size would be matched to the diameter of the bamboo culm).
The roof shade is completely up to the owner… its intended purpose is to describe possibilities for utilising wasted space for producing. At the moment I’m about to harvest my first crop of Peas from the roof of the vehicle.

At the moment I’m about to harvest my first crop of Peas from the roof of the vehicle.

I’d probably go for green beans myself… :wink:

Welcome aboard Alex.

My previous comment aside, what was your thinking when you placed the hand controls on the center line?

Can you provide any “detail” shots of your steering set up? It’s hard to see exactly how it works… are they “linked” via pullies, or with a more traditional king pin/rod set-up?

Are you currently “raising” this frame for actual prototype fabrication? I’m unclear on the status of your project…

The main thinking for the position of the steering controls was based on other small rear wheel steering tricycles such as Huffy Green Machine. After trying out that vehicle, it seemed like a comfortable spot, and was well clear of the crotch.
Furthermore, the attachment of ancillaries to a bamboo frame is somewhat difficult if it’s to be done without cutting the frame and inserting joiners (like in Craig Calfees bamboo bikes). So in this case, it was though better to centralise as many of the components as possible by running them off a single internal crossmember (which also braces the seat).

As this version is now redundant by more than 14 months, the newer version has built on the knowledge of many frame prototype revisions. As a consequence, the steering has been fully revised, whereby bamboo culms are used for the linkages (with tie rod end inserts bound). Bamboo more than satisfies this purpose.
The more up to date version is here: Project gallery | James Dyson Award

As for the bamboo frame prototype, indeed, I am planning to completely fulfil the new form design by growing the bamboo to the required shape. Obviously, following an agricultural approach to production does require significant start up costs, and time for thorough plant establishment. It would be unrealistic to expect such a process to happen quickly (despite how desperately I want this velomobile completely resolved).

Within the context of Masters research, there are some limitations with what can be achieved in the short time frame, and funding. In reality, the idea of such research is about supporting a hypothesis through using citations from related fields, and making them relevant to the contribution of ‘grown personal mobility’. Masters is only intended to serve as the gateway to complete resolution.

Numerous trials have been conducted using various bamboo species, such as Bambusa Oldhamii, Bambusa Multiplex, Bambusa textilis gracilis and Phyllostachys pubescens. These experiments have involved growing sections of the frame to various shapes using split tubing. To date, the success of the experiments has exceeded expectations, and the emerging culms have maintained their deformed shape very well. In future growing cycles, it is expected that the acquired plants build biomass at an increased level, thereby generating new culms at a more vigorous rate.

I’m sure the intended resolution will evolve as knowledge is gained from the real world experiments, unfortunately a hypothesis such as this vehicle requires any design change to be verified through the natural process, these factors just take time to prove. But thats what makes the idea of growing parts an interesting juxtaposition to current manufacturing process. Bamboo does have inherent rapid growth qualities, especially compared to timber, but its all strictly limited to nature. Obviously, the greater the density/field size, the greater likelyhood of increased yield (as with any farming technique).

The idea will be continued in future post graduate research until I achieve satisfactory resolution of a full size grown frame vehicle. I’d much rather at this stage that the concept pushed peoples expectations with how much of the frame could be achieved through ‘natural’ production. Judging by the discussion generated so far, this has been achieved. Its far better to dial things down, or say that they are plausible yet untested, than start off with an dead easy target, and way more challenging and fun trying to prove things that others think are crazy. The advantage of academic research is that ideas can either be proven as plausible or implausible, both outcomes are equally correct as they have added to knowledge.

And why did the hubless wheels disappear? :wink:
Props for the prototype building and trying to evolve it further!

The direct drive looks nice, but I think in future versions a transmission is defo needed to drive it comfortably (with a good cadence). Also for the rear wheels, a bump in the road will slow it down quit a bit, slightly bigger wheels will be much more comfortable to in everyday usage…

As tweeted by Gary Fisher at TrekWorld 11

You know, I think a castor is an appropriate place for a hubless wheel, but not on a pram. You want to push big fat inner-tubed tyres.

Audi, Audi, Audi. I’m so disappointed in you…

Kids Trek Tron Light cycle:

At least they built one, but I can’t tell from the photo if it is a working prototype:

Has anyone been to Trekworld and seen it in the flesh?

Hmmmz, nice way how the front fork is incorporated in the wheel/fender though.

And another good CAD exercise

http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/08/30/what-if-dyson-made-bikes/

I love those unicycle concepts that never show a person on them. Solid thinking for sure.

Not only does this one have hubless wheels, but it uses Segway self stabilizing technology. I mean it only killed the guy that invented it, so it must be perfectly safe for someone who is paralyzed from the waist down right? :unamused: What happens when the couple hour battery life runs out? I’m a fan of the form and detailing but the core concept is so flawed it’s hard for me to appreciate it.

Source http://www.tuvie.com/mobi-electric-folding-wheelchair-by-jack-martinich/

Beautiful design, but I bet if you are in a wheel chair 12 hours a day you need more back support. Also, not a lot of cushion for the rump if you know what I mean.

If the write-up had described this chair as appropriate for “sport”, or as a personal statement of “youth and vitality” for wheelchair users I could believe it. No one wants to feel old, or deficient. But to suggest that this is aimed at “an aging population” doesn’t show much of an understanding of what elderly, or those whose mobility is restricted actually live with; reduced strength, reduced range of motion, vertigo, poor depth perception, carrying gear like books, water bottle, a jacket, etc.

This machine has a market, but I think it would be more attractive to the 16-60 crowd. Then again … athletes like Aaron Fotheringham would probably find it’s Segway-inspired stability system very restrictive.