Show your designs!

Yeah the fasteners I’d rather change out for something that was countersunk with a flat head.

I was going to use the chair as a study of ‘prosthesis’, where I would take the steel form and fabricate 5-7 different versions for different occasions, tasks or interactions. Possibly even vary the material, who knows yet.

I’m not really getting the metal slot description, but a sketch would be awesome!

Really cool stuff guys. Here’s a piece I did last year.

It’s so great to see everyone’s work on here. I really like what I’m seeing better than what I find when I do a portfolio search for furniture.

Here’s a rework of one of the first chairs I posted. I changed the inset cushion to be more of a clam shell - upholstered on the front and back:

so basically the slot detail in the bottom of the wood disc would have a slight dovetail or other key or dado type detail to accept the leg, with a slot in the leg that would allow the leg to slide into the disc and the metal back this could have a friction fit, some type of detint, dowel faster. or large countersunk philips head.

Great sketch! I might be worried about the stress riser created on the inside of the dovetail when you sit down. It could eventually split, but definitely worth testing. The aesthetic is brilliant though and makes perfect sense, thanks!

That is one of the most awesome posts ever! I love it when we get technical on the nitty gritty!

Yes, great sketch BTW!

I’ve never actually posted any of my work on core, so here goes!

Architect’s workstation (commissioned work)

Bedside table

Bedside table side detail

Bedside table alt. colour

Receptionist desk

Some sort of bench/couch, maybe for a nightclub

-charles

1 Like

Hi everyone, I read a lot on this forums but never posted before so hope this is not out of place.

This was made as a student project for the semester that just passed, it is kids furniture and can be used in three positions, making the functions of an Easel and a Table. entirely made of MDF.

I put a render of it and a photograph of the prototype.

Not the best pic but mi camera ran out of batteries :blush:

What’s the third configuration for? That’s a really clever way of doing the leg angle adjustment.

Thanks for your comment :slight_smile:

That one is so the kid can use it as an easel but at floor level, sitting on his knees or directly onto the ground, whatever he likes. At the top an art paper roll can be placed in the rod so the paper passes continuously below the clip.

Drift

73 Track

Cornered

That drift table is stunning!

I’d like to post that on the front page, can you give me some more info on it?

You bet.
Materials: Baltic Birch, White Wash, Satin Clear Coat
Dimensions: H:13" L:36" D:14"

Drift uses line and form to reference a wave of water. By using a continuous flow of a contoured profile, it integrates with the ground it sits on. The white wash finish replicates the effect of sun bleached driftwood.

47 profile pieces were milled from 3 sheets of 3/4" Baltic birch then glued together.

Here is one high res image. Let me know if you need more.

Work Unit A wall mounted workstation for myself. Desk, light, pinup, cabinet and marker board
workunit_detail1.jpg
workunit_angle1.jpg
workunit_front_closed2.jpg

Pretty sweet setup splishsplash

my only crits would be (and I’m being VERY critical as this is pretty awesome)

1 - right next to the fireplace ?

2 - if I went through that much trouble to make such a nice thing and wall mount it,
I would install a new outlet through the cabinet in some way to power the whole unit
instead of having the one plug dangling (could be MUCH worse, don’t get me wrong)

Is there a gutter or cable dump or anything at the back of the worksurface?
Any other power access from the work surface?

good stuff

Thanks IDiot!

Good points…

1. my place is small, strategically it’s the best place for me, also, I really never use the fireplace.
  2. i’m a chicken with wiring. the light is internally wired, but, i was afraid to mess with electricity in my place.

Oh yes, there is a “gutter” wiring in back, I think the picture explains it better.
Where the desk meets the cabinet, at the end of the gutter, there is a hole in the cabinet so i can
access more power. I’m messy enough as it is, so wanted no wires showing. Computer location allows
me quick access to usb.

Thanks for the comments!
workunit_light-desk.jpg

a couple more shots…
work unit_end view2.jpg
workunit_front_open.jpg

1 Like

ahhh markerboard on the inside of the cabinet, that is pretty AWESOME for a home office, open it to work, close it and it disappears, very nice.

Here are some older ones. Since having kids, I don’t get into the shop as much as I’d like anymore…