Interview outfit advice

I wouldn’t wear a tie to a consultancy interview.

To my last consultancy interview I wore dark slim jeans, a button up with a traditional menswear pattern (I think it was a gingham shirt, but this was a couple of years ago before that went so mainstream), a grey hoodie with a tailored black sport coat over top and a pair of black John Varvatos Converse… and a nice watch.

Dress as you would like to see yourself. Be a designer.

Yes, be a designer, be a bit different.

All suits are not the same. You could try a casual, unstructured khaki slim fit suit with short leg pants, no socks, dress shoes or leather jack purcells, with a V neck T or dress shirt, slim tie or bowtie.

R

These are few outfits I use for inspiration when interviewing or presenting at final critique. Might give you some idea.

Standard Raw Denim with a Blazer. Go to default

Khaki and Blazer with a tie. Use this when giving more formal presentations.
interview-blue_khaki.jpg
Cardigan as a Blazer. For days I’m not feeling a blazer.

Thanks everyone for those awesome fashion references. I have bookmarked this conversation for later.

I went out and did an initial shopping spree at Macy’s: got me some slim-fit chinos, button down slim-fit shirts. By the way, this is more geared to a fashion forum, like Styleforum.net but I always wondered why regular dress shirts always ballooned on me and puffed out. Until I discovered “slim-fit” shirts a few years ago, I hadn’t known they existed and that dress shirts are not supposed to make you look fat, if you aren’t!

Tried finding a nice fitting sports coat, but man, did a lot of them require tailoring; which is a given. But I will get one eventually, when I have time for it.

Tried Uniqlo but unless you are thin waif, I don’t recommend that store! I tried on the slim fit medium sports jackets and felt like a pig in a blanket; their large was too baggy. Their clothes are better suited for very thin men, if you want to wear it off the rack, as is. If you have somewhat of an athletic build, not so much. At least, that was my impression. I left disappointed.

H&M, though modern, also felt somewhat Uniqlo and their clothes didn’t fit me well either. Nice clothes though.

Oh, sorry to hear Uniqlo wasn’t for you. I personally love the Jill Sander collaboration, I think it’s called J+ or something.

Where are you located?

Hi Bepster,

I am located in NYC. Yes, I am still a bit disappointed and their staff wasn’t much help. I asked, "Do you have jackets that are not “slim-fit” and they pointed me to another rack that supposedly had “regular fit” but that was the same exact fit as the slim fits! I must lose some muscle in my chest and back to wear their clothes. Ok, no pull-downs for me.

I assume though that their pants are another story. I didn’t get a chance to try them on, but they did have nice slacks. Oh, and their prices are pretty affordable. Very cool store. I was enamored.