The thread for silly Alias questions...

looks to me as if they did a displacement map on the surface so that it shows up- or they Photoshoped it.
I would take that approach to communicate it for a concept unless you needed hard surface data… then there are several ways to do this.

What are YOU trying to achieve?

Agreed, it looks like something that was either fudged for the rendering or built using Sub-division modeling, by subdividing that patch and then pinching and pulling the points row by row.

its a produced concept, rose lovegrove renault twin’z

ok, how about something simpler, they have a nice blend toward outer pattern area

My first attempt and method would be built using Sub-division modeling, by subdividing that patch and then pinching and pulling the points row by row.

as mentioned above.

The tooth brush is easier, you can project that grid and trim out the square holes, which gives you a 4 sided patch inside each square. You can then pull the CV’s of that 4 sided patch inward (using the NUV tool) and blend them out towards the outside edges.

As far as the Renault pattern, it seems like it would be a combination of patch modeling to build out the main spines then filling the divots in and blending them out, but hard to say without spending a lot of time experimenting with it. There are a lot of NURBS operations that will get you crazy patterns and by applying some process logic to it (such as understanding how to insert isoparms or divide surfaces numerically) you can control it fairly tightly.

It might also all just be direct modeled on one crazy ass surface patch.

At one time I found a link to a larger library of Alias Shaders. I recently lost a bunch of data; and I cannot seem to find it anymore. There used to be an Alias site that had downloadable shared resources; but it doesn’t seem to be around any longer. Does anyone know of any place that has more Alias Shaders? Also; after installing Alias Design 2016; I seem to be missing “Rubber” materials . . .

If anyone has some they wouldn’t mind sharing via dropbox or whatever; I would be grateful!

So we finally got a couple of Alias licenses at work, and I’ve been using it seriously now for the first time in a couple of years… three weeks in and I’ve already gotten two bugs confirmed by Autodesk.

Feels ( Γ˚Д˚)Γ to be back…

1. right click over the curve and select Curve Point…
    …now, select a point on the curve, in the place where you want more CV’s
    …and under Edit Curves menu, choose Insert Knot