360Degree Paper Bottle

More information on this paper water bottle:

http://www.brand-image.com/pdf/Brandimage_ResponsibleDesign.pdf

Shppped inverted and there’s a fill portal on the bottom. Its lined with PLA film.

This really sound cool and I hope that one day we will be able to get to this kind of technology. This will take lots of work to get people thinking this way and until they do it this concept will not work.

The first is setting up the recycle streams fro PLA. Right now it cannot be recycled through “normal” recycling streams and currently just ends up in the landfill. This simple fact causes this concept to fail. Also maybe I am just out of the loop, but I have never heard of this paper made of Bamboo, Palm leaves, etc… I do not think that it would be hard to do this just that it would be a specialty paper so it would be expensive which would make the bottle of water expensive, which would cause people to continue to buy the ones in the PET bottles.

Bamboo is the fastest growing plant on earth, 6 or more inches per day, so it is a good sustainable material. Although, the usual complaints arise like nasty chemicals used in its processing, greenhouse gases emitted from shipping it all over the world, etc.

Thanks for the link mgn8.

I’ll give BrandImage credit - they have thought this through more than I initially gave them credit for.

It’s too bad more of the functional details didn’t make it out with the initial renderings. Lesson learned?!

Architorture

It is true that paper does biodegrade faster than plastic but I believe your figure of biodegradation is in well managed landfills.

This is VERY false. The way landfills are made prevent anything from degrading. They put a liners that block out the elements that degrade the garbage. The idea is to lock in all the garbage forever, so they put the liner, and nothing can get in or out.

This does not mean that things cannot decompose before “locked in”. People are now using landfills as an energy source sense they product tons of methane gas. The are being used to power plants and other manufacturing facilities, including their own. This methane gas comes from decomposing garbage. So I am sorry your statement is VERY false.

haha, ya true, but most of the landfills in the country are locked in… but I know in some other countries they are just left open, but either way the best thing is not to throw them away in the first place.