1HDC 10.02 - Emergency Shelter - Submission Forum

The idea for this shelter is that it basically is a small house, not necessarily a temporary shelter. It consists of a wooden floor element on poles that can be cut to length on location to meet various ground surfaces, and 6 styrofoam shells with a fire retardant coating. This is lightweight, probably pretty safe, easy to assemble, good thermal insulation, and it would probably stay intact in a mudslide too.

The idea came in a few minutes and I managed to just stay within the hour in raw Solidworks minutes.

Using the net of a cube it easy to make or build a shelter following the simple steps of the cube, using light and resistant materials. Its easy to store cause you can fold it back in and store it.

Emergency Shelter
The pre-cut cardboard is assembled to create the house shaped structural enclosure.
The section profile is created with are small cardboard pieces, overlapping each other’s joint line/cutouts to create the overall structure.
The internal side of the structure will be useful to store small items, to tie a rope for clothes, to hang the lights…etc.
The canvas/tarpaulin sheet will be laid over the structure.
The canvas will have the double weave & single weave combination to allow air & light to pass through them.
The material options like plastic or cardboard & tarpaulin or canvas will be selected depending upon the weather conditions in the affected region.

Hi

Basically trying to cover the basic needs in buildings: Sleep, eat and hygene. In a way that is cheap and fast.
Doing this by making simple shelters of plywood, tarp and poles. This makes it lightweight, cheap, easy and aftershock “safe”.
Empty containers can be re-used as ad-hock buildings for sick-bays, latrines and showers.

To ‘remember when’:

Check out this video: - YouTube
I love how it unfolds

Might be inspiring for your idea :wink:
grtz

Quick and dirty idea. Two similarly shaped folded metal pieces nest one on top of the other. The top piece can rotate to open the space up and create a door or to close off the shelter completely. The roof becomes concave due to the folding process and has a hole in the center fitted with a water collection pitcher and filter. I imagine these being shipped flat on a truck and folded on site with a simple plywood/lumber mold and using human weight.

this is a foldable, shelter

Hello All,

Long time lurker, I thought it was about time to man up and contribute.

The main purpose of this design would be to create shelter for those in need immediately following the hectic/stressful hours following a crisis. This pop up, light weight nylon tent could be easily distributed and set up with minimal steps. Its folding aspect allows multiple tents to be flat-packed and shipped at a relatively low cost anywhere in the world. The entrance features a central zipper which allows both halves to be folded back to create a sun shade during the day. While not ideal for long periods of time, this could solve the problem of lack of shelter and overcrowding issues attributed to times of misfortune.

-Ryan

Hi all,

I did another one…Got inspired by the HESCO-system I posted earlier and the other container ideas I saw in this tread.
Basic Idea: A big coiled wrapped in fabric (similar to the collapsible bins you find everywhere for putting your laundry in)
So The coil is compressed in a container (regular shipping?) And the tube (shelter) will pop out as soon as the doors open. Like a devil in a box.

Grtz

T

An emergency shelter inspired by packaging and cardboard furniture/sculptures. The shelter is manufactured from multiple layerd box cardboard sheets, easily packable , with perforated cutouts and assembly instructions can be printed on the shelter itself. A weather sheet to cover it from the weather and coating the cardboard with a glaze for extra protection.

recyclable / transportable /easy to assemble / reusable / replaceable

Hello. This one done in 60 minutes. 30 min. for idea. and another 30 to draw the diagrams out…
I hope this entry is valid and done correctly…

Its basically a multi-function robotic aid and transport system. When deployed through parachute, all the gadgets: main central “Plen” robot wireless communication system used to communicate from the rescue base and to communicate with the other components, RC Heli “scout”, emergency electronic, self inflatable tent aid, is deployed with a disaster area self activated proximity alarm. Each component is powered through either one or the few power sources: solar, wind, battery and kinetic energy.
Once deployed local people can either use, for instance, the self inflatable tent for aid, or manually control all the components.

(Image sources: Google image search)

Over dinner we designed this adobe/cob structure that attaches to the structurally sound walls of partially damaged buildings. The structure provides shelter (including security) and is mostly constructed from mud (a resource that is free and abundant). Our sons helped name it.

Ilya Korolev
Desmond Williams

This is my 1 hour concept for an air dropped dual fabric layer emergency shelter. The dual fabric layer traps air to act as an insulator while the open sides allow air movement. In colder climates the sides can be dropped down.

Hello,
Brief:
To design a shelter that could be used for earthquake, tornado and for flood disasters.

Concept Design:
I thought of inflatables that could be used both on ground and water. A tube of sort that the rescue team can deploy onsite that could hold about 4 people. The refugee could lift the support rod which uncoils a tent aiding as a roof and the corners of the tube will be like a back support cushion.
During floods these inflatables can be dropped from helicopters and the refugee can use them as a inflatable raft.

Shyam.B

Core 77 1 Hour Design Challenge.

Stiff frame work supports canopy, and facilitates nomadic / transient movement of shelters, aid stations, people and their belongings. Canopy and framework can be folded down and opened up with zero tools. Focused on the movement of comunities and people in horrific circumstances.

First ever sumbission, 1 hour exactly, Ran out of time!

enjoy

Tim

The idea is a modular crate where each side individually holds first aid kits, blankets and other essentials. The box locks back together for storage and transportation. The crates would be somewhat heavy duty so they could be reused and long lasting. -James

Living in Miami, things like flash floods are practically everyday occurrences in the Summer. They oftentimes catch beach-goers off guard and as a result, they are at risk of lightning strikes, rip currents, and drowning. The idea behind my shelter is a temporary tent-like structure that pops up from a beach chair platform. This would shield people from rain and wind as it blows in from the ocean. Because these intense storms rarely last longer than a few hours, this pop-up shelter is intended to provide short-term relief from the elements.

The main idea behind this entry is compactness.
A shelter, multipurpose bag, water cantines, blankes & towels and a water collector/filter are all contained within single shell which itself is the water collector. The strap that comes on the basin can be detached and used on the bag so that while the shelter is needed no excess material is left.

P.S.- the shelter works like an emergency raft (pull tab for automatic inflation) but with a breathable cloth making up the walls.

When emergency situations happen people are normally unorganized, homes are destroyed, and diseases start to develop. The CommUnity Shelters allow help relief personnel to organize families and individuals during the sorting process after a large disaster while providing possible longer term living conditions. A couple of the main benefits include a numbering system for keeping track of individuals, air flow ventilation to help keep down disease, and most importantly its compact size for shipping.

Hope you enjoy.

Jeff C.

Hi,

This pop out shelter is simple, cost-effective and is easily mass-produced. My design combines a number of cheap materials to form a flexible waterproof building sheet that is folded as shown below. This design provides ten (or more) shelters in one assembly. Assembly is easy just pin down one end and then pull out the other end, once the expansion of the compartments is complete, secure last end to the ground via pins. Many Haitians may suffer for
Illiteracy, so I have added a color identity marker to the shelters design; this allows the user to identify there chosen shelter with ease. Shelters would be placed in a hexagonal plan layout and vital services are found at the center hub.