stuck in a hard spot......

well,

i’m currently 32 and have been on my own since 1999… from working on design/build projects to model building to exhibit engineering to construction to alot of other things… i currently have a 5year b.a. in arch…

reason for this is that i wanted to design and build/create my ideas for others…aka clients/people/fun

i have been trying to work in a 9-5/office environment so i dont stress myself out and figure out how i’m going to eat next week…

talked to a few architecture firms but it seems like they could care less of my background in the trades and the small projects i made happen… seems that all they care about is some b.s. modelling program like sketchup or viz…

i have applied to exhibit firms and the like but it all comes back to some b.s. on “office experience” and the like…

just a bit stressed out about all this… spending 8years to make things happen and it seems that no-one in any field really cares nor will give me the time of day…

makes me want to just become a mail man and say screw any creative field out there… seriously… just losing my motivation for alot of things due to lack of money/offers/etc …

We’ve all been there at one point or another cryzko.

Your experience is valid…I think you just need to find the right fit. Some offices are really buttoned down and don’t want people that are too used to getting things done on their own. Some people see that as a threat. Perhaps take that into consideration when explaining your projects. Stress the parts of the project where you did work with other people.

Another thing I take from your post is that you might be missing some computer skills. Try to remedy this. Everyone tells me CAD skills aren’t necessary, yet after I mastered CAD, I never had a problem finding a job again. So, they are important skills. If you are missing them, learn it and do a project that showcases your ability.

Other than that, my only advice is too keep pushing. I think only a small number of us creatives became successful on talent alone. Most of us had to bust our butts toiling away on poorly paid or unpaid projects (either in school or afterwards).

My advise to to talk to more than a “few” firms. You really need to get out there an network!

Think about using your model building skills to create an unforgettable promotion-mailer. Attend the right conferences. Target the right firms in the right cities. And pos in the right forums (Core77 isn’t crawling with architects!)

Mailmen earn good money :slight_smile: Wish I could give better advice, but maybe you need to go bigger. I’ve found that many small firms want specific stuff, while bigger firms are sometimes more willing to take a chance on creativity and motivation. Or just look for small firms that want creativity and motivation :slight_smile:

I’m sorry if you already know of this site: http://www.archinect.com/
It is supposed to be like core77 for architects, I’m not sure how active it is at all…

yeah…

just a little pissed off/depressed over all this…

go through all that schooling and actually design/build things and all that…only to find out that your career is no longer a career because of some b.s.

so people can keep it going and all that… but sometimes thoughts of leaving the creative aspect only to seek a regular life and work a regular job… maybe i’m just in that realm where my work has no weight…

just tired of it all…all the b.s… all the reasons why “i cant get hired”

stay safe people…

Another thing I take from your post is that you might be missing some computer skills. Try to remedy this. Everyone tells me CAD skills aren’t necessary, yet after I mastered CAD, I never had a problem finding a job again. So, they are important skills. If you are missing them, learn it and do a project that showcases your ability.

cryzko, take Mr-914’s advice to heart. When I wandered off into “private practice” I wasn’t able to keep current with software development; hard to do when you are self-employed and the budget is tight; programs are pricey, off-site training even more so. But you must do this.

cg wrote:

You really need to get out there an network!

Mr-914 wrote:

keep pushing. I think only a small number of us creatives became successful on talent alone. Most of us had to bust our butts toiling away on poorly paid or unpaid projects (either in school or afterwards).

I’m a great designer, but as a business-guy … mmmm, not so great; beating my own drum, so to speak, doesn’t come easily for me. If you don’t promote yourself … who will?

Build on your strengths. One of your’s is that your skills are diverse; perhaps you should look at carving out a niche where you can work with other shops and offices (Architectural, ID, Interior Design, et al.) as a pinch-hitter; let office principals know that you are available to fill-in for vacationers, man extra-effort projects, sub-contract for certain aspects of projects, etc. It wouldn’t commit an employer to hire you fulltime, and would offer them the opportunity to see how you work.

And don’t beat yourself up about not finding a job; I don’t need to tell you, the economy is tanking. You may be in a more stable position right now than if you "seek a regular life and work a regular job… " I view it this way; as independents we are always looking for the next “job”, and will never be unexpectedly laid-off for lack of work. If you need some extra cash, work a side job to get you through; no dishonor in that (maybe a little mental anquish, but that goes away when the bills can be paid). College-education or not, we all have to do whatever it takes. i.e.: it’s apparent to me that you wouldn’t have any problem finding a spot in a high-end cabinet/furniture shop…

Independent employment isn’t always a comfortable way to make a living, but once you understand that the wolf may be at the door, but isn’t allowed to eat you, it allows you the freedom to explore life. Regretfully, it took me a long time to realize that we should work to live, not live to work; and for “designers” this is often an inseparable characteristic.

p.s.

cryzko, check out www.etsy.com

thanks folks…

i have done marketing in the past/etc…went to firms and had interviews/etc… but i think that the fact that i have been on my own gives them a threat…i have heard that a few times…

i do know cad… in 2d and basic 3d…
photoshop…still trying to learn some tricks in that…but know that so far

i’m going to keep pushing along… but really losing motivation…

b

start looking in big cities. I know of more than a few exhibit design firms that are desperate for good people. Dress the part and walk the walk too. Hit your exhibit shows with resume in hand.

The exhibit firms dont use the standard 3d software but they realize that if you now sw or proe rhino… then you can learn anything. That could be a suggestion.

if you know of any places on hand… let me know… i have contacted quite a few and having a hard time actually getting the time of day…grrrr… most places wont talk to you if you dont live in the area… so that’s also an issue… might have to jump on a plane and just bring 3 bags and thats it…

b

sent you a phone number via PM…

pm back…

thanks

This. Do it you can.

just need the opportunity to do the walk…

ok guys lets get a fashion thread going on here if its that important. i’m mostly into the jeans and t shirt TBH.

You can never be over-dressed.

And here come the flames…