Porfolio Feedback/General Design Advice

Hi Andy, I took a look through your website and appreciate how image-heavy it is. For your first response, I’ll touch on some initial impressions that would be easy tweaks so that other viewers can have an improved experience of your portfolio. I’m viewing this on a MacBook Pro set on maximum brightness.

1. Body text is too light. Either make it the same color as the INDUSTRIAL DESIGN header or increase the font weight. It needs to have stronger contrast from the background. The tracking could also be a tad tighter for smoother readability.

2. Project involvement. With the Sterilization Sink, I only see final renders and action shots. Can you talk more about what you contributed to the process? Like ideation/brainstorming, primary or secondary research, market analysis, etc. Just noting these areas helps inform the viewer of your involvement with each project. Being too nondescript can be detrimental.

3. Call-outs. With the Surgical Packing Table, can you highlight your experience by detailing important features or mechanisms? What makes your designs competitive?

Maybe it’ll help to think of your projects like a brochure or package design. You’re helping the viewer understand why this is a great product (only through final imagery) and why they should buy it or learn more about it. It’s especially important if you’re transitioning into consumer electronics and you don’t want someone to unfortunately think “this is all just sheet metal.” Feed their mind with storytelling and information so that they see your work and your process as something much more. What are the similarities between consumer electronics and your metalwork projects? Brand language, usability, ergonomics, etc.

Also, I looked at your about section and found this quote:

As an Industrial Designer, my work focuses on the emotional connection between humans and objects. Through observation of behaviours and interactions, we can provide innovative solutions as useful, meaningful and culturally-relevant products and experiences that really impact and improve quality of life.

How can you communicate your projects to reflect this quote? Good luck!