Re: Hammer Bank

February 5th, 2019, 8:22 am

cf
step one
step one
Mrog wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 8:15 am
I think this is honestly pretty pretentious. So he's some guy online who looked at Fukasawas' style really hard and then came up with this new "design style" that he puts next to things like modernism and minimalism? I'm sorry but I think he has no idea about design theory and never really digged into contemporary design discourse. I would suggest him to read a proper book on that topic, eg. "The semantic turn" by Klaus Krippendorf which deals with this topic and many more in great depth. If he says he did research if something like this already exists and "came back empty handed" I would say he didn't really look very hard in the first place.
It's not necessarily a new design style, but rather a way of thinking and creating more intuitive products. Nick is pretty pretentious btw

February 5th, 2019, 8:38 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 76078
Well I like the way of thinking because he ends up at a playful, accessible style like Fukasawa.
Of course it can use some more refinement. And it is not new, look at various Dutch designers for example who recontextualize familiar interactions all the time. But I am also highly skeptical of a theoretical approach of academics who are not actually practising design. Theory is not reality for design, not even close and I prefer to keep building.
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

February 5th, 2019, 11:15 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
cf wrote:
It's not necessarily a new design style, but rather a way of thinking and creating more intuitive products. Nick is pretty pretentious btw
Ouch. Have you met Nick? I've met him a few times and did not find him to be pretentious at all. I did find him to be hard working, thoughtful, ambitious and generally affable. Those are the characteristics of someone I'd want on my team.

While I might not think it was necessary to put an "ism" on this way of designing which is essentially covered in post modernism, I do think it is valuable to write about your thoughts and put them out into the world as way of solidifying your thinking. I wouldn't call someone pretentious for doing that... especially if I was using that writing to justify my own design decisions. It seems a bit off to site the person as a reason for what you did and then insult them... unless I'm reading this wrong and it is supposed to be some kind of joke.

February 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm

cf
step one
step one
yo wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 11:15 am
cf wrote:
Ouch. Have you met Nick? I've met him a few times and did not find him to be pretentious at all. I did find him to be hard working, thoughtful, ambitious and generally affable. Those are the characteristics of someone I'd want on my team.

While I might not think it was necessary to put an "ism" on this way of designing which is essentially covered in post modernism, I do think it is valuable to write about your thoughts and put them out into the world as way of solidifying your thinking. I wouldn't call someone pretentious for doing that... especially if I was using that writing to justify my own design decisions. It seems a bit off to site the person as a reason for what you did and then insult them... unless I'm reading this wrong and it is supposed to be some kind of joke.
Haha just messing with him. He is a super thoughtful designer. I think the concept is interesting, and will continue to use it through my career. Nick’s great haha

February 5th, 2019, 2:14 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Gotcha, thanks. That kind of joke usually doesn't read well on the internet without the context of the relationship. No tone on the internet without lots of emojis :-)