Software find for moodboards !

December 14th, 2018, 8:40 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
I normally use photoshop for mood boards and reference images, but it is a small annoyance to open the file, copy from source, paste, scale etc,etc, I just stumbled upon this little piece of software and so far it s blowing PS to pieces, for instance, I am doing some test panels for a comic, so I need to recreate the interior of an old ranger truck in 3D, this is my current setup:
PureRefKeno.jpg
PureRefKeno.jpg (121.54 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
You can keep a resizable window on top and scale in out, drag drop images etc,etc:
PureRefKeno2.jpg
PureRefKeno2.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
Not affiliated with them, but think it could be of use for ID'ers (it's also free/donation based) :

http://pureref.com/
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Re: Software find for moodboards !

December 14th, 2018, 11:41 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
You know you can open a whole bunch of images in a “stack” that imports into layers for easy scaling and manipulation...?

I use that for mood boards then set the layers to multiply and arrange/scale as needed.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

December 15th, 2018, 1:49 am

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
rkuchinsky wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 11:41 pm
You know you can open a whole bunch of images in a “stack” that imports into layers for easy scaling and manipulation...?
Yeah, that's what I was using, but feels/felt like overkill and the window management, import I think is better addressed by this tool, especially if you are on a laptop or don't have multiple monitors, use what works for you I suppose, anyways, just sharing an interesting find, also check this for an overview if you are on the fence:

Eugenio (Keno) Leon

January 6th, 2019, 2:49 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
For completion sake here's the final panel, I used pureRef throughout and I feel it did save me a lot of time.
Process4Core77Keno.jpg
Process4Core77Keno.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

January 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm

AVClub
step three
step three
Cool! I would be curious what your process was for this comic. Did you use the CAD as an underlay?

January 8th, 2019, 2:47 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization
AVClub wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 1:49 pm
Cool! I would be curious what your process was for this comic. Did you use the CAD as an underlay?
Thanks !, finally committed to a graphic novel ( mostly as a side/fun project ) , so this is the first panel in who knows how many, so you basically write a script with your story, and then break it down into individual panels , then you zoom into an individual one, I start by doodling a super rough one on my notebook:
core77PorcessReference_001.jpg
core77PorcessReference_001.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 768 times
I use a mix of underlays and photo references, the underlays are rough and blocky and done with Rhino on the mac, they really help speed up the process and experiment with perspective, I then import them into clip studio paint ( used to be called manga studio ), here's my ref folder for this panel:
core77PorcessReference002.jpg
core77PorcessReference002.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Then I do the line work ( trace and add detail over the underlay ) , shading ( That's another mini process) and lettering, fit to frame, levels and other details, then it's added to a template page with the other panels and bounced to kindle comic creator or other programs for print.

I am sure it will change as the panels pile up, but this is as fast, stress free a process I've come up with, thanks for asking !
Eugenio (Keno) Leon