Industrial design for hobbyists

December 7th, 2018, 4:57 am

ibrahimindie
Hi guys! I'm here looking for an advice from you. I want to learn industrial design as a hobby. I'm super fascinated with the work you do and the process of creating and bringing a product to life. I have no intentions of pursuing it professionally but it is still quite hard for me to find a path.

One year ago, I read "the design of everyday things" and since then I incrementally developed a passion for understanding the process of creating physical objects and products. I'm in marketing and while reading, I find a lot of similarities and gathering points between marketing an design in respect of understanding the people and solving the problems they face through products.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Re: Industrial design for hobbyists

December 12th, 2018, 2:04 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 76078
Well with companies becoming more data-driven and transparent, product development processes are becoming broken open from just being performed by professional development teams to actively contributing communities. Think of the industrial design process as a marketing tool as well. Also I imagine if you establish clear visions for the future of the company's product lines as a marketer that industrial design skills will be a great asset developing and visualizing these. It is a good exercise for any professional in marketing to run at least one industrial design process and learn the intricacies involved from various perspectives.
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

Re: Industrial design for hobbyists

December 13th, 2018, 5:20 am

ReneeDegutis
I'm also treating industrial design as my hobby, as I've never tried it professionally.
I started with free online courses. When you have some theoretical basis, try making something and create your own design. I'm a supporter of the statement that learning is better through experiencing and making. The sooner you begin accomplishing something and making mistakes, the sooner you learn. At any rate that is how it works for me. On the off chance that you have conceived something, pick something you can test at once. Try not to be too picky about your choice. Just by experiencing the way toward structuring and making a thing you will take in a great deal.
Experiment with a portion of the things learned in the courses to begin with.