Dad Projects

November 2nd, 2018, 2:03 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
It's been 13 years since I attempted a piece of furniture, but finally did something for the babies room and was happy how it turned out so I thought I'd share.

We bought him a nice bedroom set, but wanted an extra low book shelf that would fit under his window and double as an end table. It's an awkward size for a real piece of furniture (more of a console table) so I decided to DIY.

The existing dresser he has has a nice dark gray leg design that I decided to copy so it would all hang together: Image

In progress:

Built everything out of pine since I wasn't sure how bad I'd ruin it and knew it was mostly getting painted, but wished I had gotten a nicer wood for the legs to match. Used pocket holes with plugs for most of the joinery so that nothing was left visible.

Finished:

I was pretty happy how it turned out, made a couple mistakes (like shooting a nail into one of the hidden pocket screws and having it shoot out the side panel) but glad it was an excuse to buy $1000 worth of tools for a $80 bookshelf. ;-)

Re: Dad Projects

November 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm

wildmtn
Quick, clean, useful and good looking. Beauty.
DIY. Beauty.
New tools. Beauty.
All good. Congrats. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the follow up picture in 20 years, when Luke has fully developed its patina.

November 2nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

FH13
step four
step four
Makes perfect sense and looks nice. I've been modifying ikea bookcases for my kids rooms.

November 2nd, 2018, 3:29 pm

NURB
Nice! Wish I'd built more of my kids furniture. Love the ASL block, by the way! Now I'm inspired to make something for my kids....
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

November 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
NURB wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 3:29 pm
Nice! Wish I'd built more of my kids furniture. Love the ASL block, by the way! Now I'm inspired to make something for my kids....
Not sure you saw in the older hearing aid post a while back, but in addition to me now wearing a hearing aid my son was born with a mild bi-lateral hearing loss as well. Interesting how things come around!

My next project which will probably have to wait until spring is thinking about doing a murphy bed for my wife's "makeup" room.

November 2nd, 2018, 4:36 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Well done. I bet that earned some husband points as well as dad points :-)