Olympic Torch Proposal

September 28th, 2018, 2:35 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I would have loved if the torch and medal proposals I did moved forward, but at least we have a couple of working prototypes in the studio now... not that we are turning them on or anything :-)

I posted about this a couple of months back in the new work topic. I recently got them professionally photographed and put up a page on the site to show them off.

http://www.michaelditullo.com/content/p ... torch.html
Ditullo_M_olympic_tourches_low_key_002.jpeg
Ditullo_M_olympic_tourches_low_key_004.jpeg
Ditullo_M_olympic_tourches_low_key_004.jpeg (120.92 KiB) Viewed 18935 times
Ditullo_M_olympic_tourches_low_key_009.jpeg
Ditullo_M_olympic_tourches_low_key_009.jpeg (96.57 KiB) Viewed 18935 times
combo.jpg
shape_pic-11@2x.png

Re: Olympic Torch Proposal

October 5th, 2018, 2:02 am

AndyMc
step four
step four
Nice Michael!

Is the middle section solid timber? If so, how is the balance?

October 5th, 2018, 7:15 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
In these prototypes it is solid wood that has been hogged out from the ends. The leather wrapped sections are separate parts making it easier to hog out more material. Still they are pretty heavy. If these were produced I think we would have split it in half down the centerline so it could more easily CNC’d from both sides to remove as much weight at the top as possible. One of the prototypes is aluminum at the top and the other stainless steel and there is a noticeable weight difference there as well. Luckily the torch mechanism and fuel source do not weigh much :-)

October 5th, 2018, 9:16 am

AndyMc
step four
step four
Awesome. I saw the first pics you put up a while ago, but I hadn’t seen it with a hand holding it for scale.

You could probably counterweight the bottom as well if needed. Are there heaps of rules (more than usual I should say) to comply with for Olympic based projects?