rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
I think my point was pretty clear. You have an example, I said what my perception of the person displaying said example would be. Point is that you will be judged by the tribe you choose to associate with and the stereotypes that go along it. You can pick and choose.

The bimmer with the n-ring sticker, custom plate and custom m logo I would probably judge similar. Some guy who thinks he's a hot shot racer, probably had more money than sense, and not someone I would trust with subtlety.

But that just just my 0.2$ worth.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com
slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
rkuchinsky wrote:I think my point was pretty clear. You have an example, I said what my perception of the person displaying said example would be. Point is that you will be judged by the tribe you choose to associate with and the stereotypes that go along it. You can pick and choose.

The bimmer with the n-ring sticker, custom plate and custom m logo I would probably judge similar. Some guy who thinks he's a hot shot racer, probably had more money than sense, and not someone I would trust with subtlety.

But that just just my 0.2$ worth.

R
My point was that applying a decal (cheap) to an object (expensive) portrays a somewhat disdainful relationship to money or materialism, the polar opposite of sneaker-worship for example (the sneaker heads who keep closetfuls of boxes of barely-worn shoes, maybe to re-sell, maybe just to have). The content matter of the decal or tribal association is secondary to the fact that a decal had be affixed to this "holy" object in the first place. Rather than reverence for a mass-produced object, the decal's application owns it, or personalizes it, by slightly degrading the original object. This is not a bad thing, in my eyes. And I'd say the d-bag label is in the eye of the (non-d-bag) beholder.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid
scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization
I love the Hello Kitty stickers that incorporate the backlit Apple logo.

christodang
step one
step one
With most things in life, it's rarely black & white so case by case depending on the setting, sticker, and all that should be taken into consideration. That being said, if you want to play it safe, best avoid it.
iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Like anything, if you do it well, it is acceptable, if you do it poorly, it isn't :-)
hatts
step three
step three
Coroflot: 241881
rkuchinsky wrote:Some guy who thinks he's a hot shot racer, probably had more money than sense, and not someone I would trust with subtlety.
That can be a dangerous assumption to make...
A large percentage of industrial designers that I know have a pretty catastrophic sense of fashion. If I assumed that this would affect their ability to keep up with contemporary style as it applies to designed objects, I'd have hardly any designers that I can trust. Same goes for programmers, craftspeople, etc.
Matthew Spencer | Jeff Koons Studio
iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
hatts wrote:That can be a dangerous assumption to make...
A large percentage of industrial designers that I know have a pretty catastrophic sense of fashion. If I assumed that this would affect their ability to keep up with contemporary style as it applies to designed objects, I'd have hardly any designers that I can trust. Same goes for programmers, craftspeople, etc.
Personally, I find those who fit the cliche of a tribe are the ones you want to avoid.

ymmv
choto
Coroflot: 249781
CarlTiki wrote:Would you take them less seriously?
Carltiki correct me if I'm wrong but the original question was phrased within the context of an interview for a design job correct?

No, I would not take them less seriously unless the stickers were immature or offensive. Is their work professional, did they arrive to the interview on time, are they conducting themselves in a professional manner?

I totally understand people judge people on everything from clothing, to watch choice, to what they eat, and how they eat it... I do it too, it's unavoidable at times but it's not grounded in any fact.

However you have the luxury of being in a field where your portfolio and your personal conduct will be the factual representation of your professionalism. There's no designer box you have to mold yourself into to be accepted. You can still get hired without wearing raw denim and thick frame glasses. :D
christodang
step one
step one
choto wrote:You can still get hired without wearing raw denim and thick frame glasses. :D
Oh good cause I never quite liked the thick framed glasses hehe.
choto
Coroflot: 249781
Just to be clear I do wear thick frame glasses and raw denim, but I'm pretty sure it's not why I got hired :D
rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
There are always exception and what lies beneath May not be what it appears to be, but Stereotypes exist for a reason, right or wrong as it may be to judge a book by its cover (which usually works by the way, ie for books).

With respect to clothing, note there is a difference from fashion and trend to well dressed.
R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com
iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
rkuchinsky wrote: but Stereotypes exist for a reason
Because people are simpletons.
iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
iab wrote:Because people are simpletons.
Note the irony.
Robbie_roy
step four
step four
MS Paint palette. I have accepted my bad taste and all the challenges associated.
WP_20140823_001.jpg