Door handles

April 24th, 2012, 9:38 am

Mr-914
I was thinking about door handles that I like the other day. Curious what others think:

Miata (think they copied a Fiat/Alfa design if memory serves)

Porsche 914 (of course) Mechanically, it's actually crap. I had mine break 3-4 times in 2 years.
BMWi-handle.jpg
BMW i8 handle. Love how it integrates into the shut lines
BMWi-handle.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 5759 times
StingRay_Handle.jpg
Corvette Stingray 2 handle. Wacky.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Re: Door handles

April 24th, 2012, 9:51 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I was thinking about door handles the other day as well as an example of how humans don't seek perfection. It doesn't attract them. If that were the case, the "best door handle" would have been optimized, bench marked, and widely initiated. Instead humans seek expression, and the door handle is the perfect example, because even with something so simple and function, there are countless variations.

Also, growing up, my Uncle has a stingray with that door handle and as a kid I was fascinated with it!

April 24th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Mr-914
BTW, I was inspired by seeing the door handle on your dream car Avanti. That's a nice one.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

April 25th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Scott Bennett
full self-realization
full self-realization
A few favorites:

Aston, pops out from flush rest position:

P1800, handle is an extension of the chrome trim along top of rear fender:

Lotus Elise, just a push button with a finger recess in the door scoop (would be nicer if the button filled the hole):

April 26th, 2012, 12:59 pm

wallflower
step four
step four
I feel this cheeky number probably deserves a mention for it's 30+yrs of service in the Rover parts bin!
Austin Rovers.jpg

May 1st, 2012, 7:27 pm

Hoodzy
step three
step three
I know some corvettes have really bad inner door handles.
Also Mini Cooper's have the worst door handle designs ever. They pinch your fingers. Unless you are very careful.

May 2nd, 2012, 4:13 am

Coffee87
step three
step three
I consider this type of door handle the best. Most user-friendly ergonomics wise.
The fingers close around it and it gives a strong grip to pull. Useful in winter when the doors are frozen and more difficult to open. Also looks good and can be designed to flow with the curves of the car.

May 2nd, 2012, 9:29 am

Mr-914
Coffee: from a purely functional point of view, you are 100% correct. As Yo stated though, sometimes we prefer the novelty.

Variant: Sometimes I think about replacing one of my cars with a 350Z, but can't get passed those handles. They are great design on the wrong car, mho.
Ray Jepson

August 10th, 2012, 4:30 am

kawasa
Mr-914 wrote:I was thinking about door handles that I like the other day. Curious what others think:

Miata (think they copied from Fiat/Alfa design if memory serves)
Well that was new to me. Now that I think of it, the door handle seems to be like in a Fiat. But as always, this is the door handle that I really liked in all cars:
Scott Bennett wrote:
Aston, pops out from flush rest position:
Last edited by kawasa on August 13th, 2012, 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

August 10th, 2012, 2:06 pm

mo-i
full self-realization
full self-realization
Fiat Barchetta
Alfa Spider (and Ferrari Mondial)
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

August 10th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Generatewhatsnext
full self-realization
full self-realization
I can think of the worst and the best I've had;

My Fiat X1/9 (a '76 I had from 1987 to 1989) had door handles like the one wallflower posted - mechanically horrible, ergonomically inadequate, inexact in its actuation - sometimes it unlatched the door halfway pulled, other times it unlatched the door fully opened - as though a really tough rubber band might be the actuating rod!

My BMWs both have handles like the one coffee87 posted - beautifully sculptural, ergonomically appropriate, well made and actuate with precision.
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

August 13th, 2012, 11:55 pm

kawasa
Generatewhatsnext wrote:I can think of the worst and the best I've had;

My parts for Fiat X1/9 (a '76 I had from 1987 to 1989) had door handles like the one wallflower posted - mechanically horrible, ergonomically inadequate, inexact in its actuation - sometimes it unlatched the door halfway pulled, other times it unlatched the door fully opened - as though a really tough rubber band might be the actuating rod!

My BMWs both have handles like the one coffee87 posted - beautifully sculptural, ergonomically appropriate, well made and actuate with precision.
It is really disappointing that not only is the design of the door handle is bad, but it also does not work its purpose properly. And with that saying, one might be happy with just a simple design door handle but doesn't fail.

Anyway, has anyone seen the LUMMA BMW 7 series door handle?