Re: Brands vs Religion

October 8th, 2010, 4:20 pm

GURU
step four
step four
nxakt wrote:Approaching this in a different way, not the class schism, but the universal inner void that needs to be filled.  
I like your take on this. It's seems like most people need to be part of something 'bigger' than they are to fill that void. Brands are: something that is universal, has millions of followers, social groups follow the same brands.... maybe brands are the new religion?

October 8th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Atohms
step four
step four
Coroflot: 12522
People need their opium........

Apparently :(

I do concur with the study. Brands are the new religion. People swear b(u)y them...And I find that confusing. :?

& Ross I love those 'religious' logo's
Dreams R Free

October 8th, 2010, 6:51 pm

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 128663
Just throwing this in to the mix, because it was the first thing i thought of when reading the initial quote.

Sportsfans are just as "passionate" as the religious, just more intoxicated.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

October 8th, 2010, 9:53 pm

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization
It's a tribal instinct, a need to belong to some kind of group helps with self image and validation, knowing others think and feel the same way. That need will manifest itself in many forms, religion, politics, gangs, exclusive clubs, brand loyalty, groupies, music, etc...

April 28th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Mr-914
Great thread that I missed.

+1 on everyone needing something to believe in

bngi: I thought of sports teams too.

Urban v. rural: Does anyone have an stats looking at the relation of these factors to the urban / rural divide? It seems to me that brand loyalty and sports fans are mostly an urban development. Religion is rural. Could this be a driving factor?

In fact, it kind of makes sense from a marketing perspective. Brands are driven by ads, buildings and seeing the brand in use. That means walking by an ad, building or someone using the product. That stuff makes sense in a city where I know a large amount of people will run into my ad. Religion is driven by proselytizing. I know a few christian churches that send people to rural areas of South America and Africa to try and get converts. This works when you have a large population of volunteers (the children of your followers) and the means to send them out.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe