Re: Freelance Payments

December 1st, 2009, 7:10 pm

TaylorWelden
Coroflot: 7
I actually don't bill by hours.

Now that I've got a solid understanding of freelance projects, how long they'll take, etc, I bill by client, by project, by phase.

Example...

for a simple project where a client needs a basic redesign (using this because... well, it's a simple example)

Phase 1:
research (add it what is required, trend, color, etc, etc, etc)
anywhere from 10-100 initial 2d sketch concepts
refining it down to X number of concepts to move forward
present and discuss
get ready for Phase 2

I charge X amount for Phase 1 (based upon the amount of hours I already know the concepts/research/presentation/emailing back and forth will take - for example, if 20 concepts are required, it will be much less than if 100 concepts are required. 10 car designs will cost more than 10 backpack designs though.)

so for example Phase 2 may just be the "refinement stage" that I had written in the proposal, Phase 2 being production.

lets say the client decides everything is wrong wrong wrong after Phase 2 deliverables. rather than getting ready for production in Phase 3. we add in a Phase 2.1 (then I quote them for this phase).

this Phased system ensures a method of checks and balances essentially, the client keeps paying if they like the project and the flow. they don't pay all at once. and if they decide to not pay you for the Phase, you've only lost 50% of that Phase's payment (as I require 50% up front for each phase, which makes for a nice payment overlap in between phases -- 50% balance of phase 1, with 50% up front for phase 2).

its a slow road with a lot of learning, you're smart, you'll figure it out with experience

if you want to chat on the phone/wave/etc, let me know, I wouldn't mind letting you know what I know so far
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

December 1st, 2009, 8:00 pm

Kershaw
step four
step four
if youre going to pick up with work... take a look at teamworkpm.net I use it with a company I work for and its awesome...

December 1st, 2009, 9:15 pm

PackageID
Coroflot: 25698
TaylorWelden wrote:I actually don't bill by hours.

Now that I've got a solid understanding of freelance projects, how long they'll take, etc, I bill by client, by project, by phase.

Example...

for a simple project where a client needs a basic redesign (using this because... well, it's a simple example)

Phase 1:
research (add it what is required, trend, color, etc, etc, etc)
anywhere from 10-100 initial 2d sketch concepts
refining it down to X number of concepts to move forward
present and discuss
get ready for Phase 2

I charge X amount for Phase 1 (based upon the amount of hours I already know the concepts/research/presentation/emailing back and forth will take - for example, if 20 concepts are required, it will be much less than if 100 concepts are required. 10 car designs will cost more than 10 backpack designs though.)

so for example Phase 2 may just be the "refinement stage" that I had written in the proposal, Phase 2 being production.

lets say the client decides everything is wrong wrong wrong after Phase 2 deliverables. rather than getting ready for production in Phase 3. we add in a Phase 2.1 (then I quote them for this phase).

this Phased system ensures a method of checks and balances essentially, the client keeps paying if they like the project and the flow. they don't pay all at once. and if they decide to not pay you for the Phase, you've only lost 50% of that Phase's payment (as I require 50% up front for each phase, which makes for a nice payment overlap in between phases -- 50% balance of phase 1, with 50% up front for phase 2).

its a slow road with a lot of learning, you're smart, you'll figure it out with experience

if you want to chat on the phone/wave/etc, let me know, I wouldn't mind letting you know what I know so far
Thanks Taylor. We are working in phases, I guess I am just questioning my timing and how long thing will take me given that I work full time and trying to do this on the side. I have done small freelance stuff here and there, but this is my first big one. Like you mentioned I can figure it out and it is a learning process. :D I may take you up on that offer of the phone call though. Shoot me a PM with how to get in touch with you.
-Justin Coble-

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

December 2nd, 2009, 12:23 am

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization
PackageID wrote:
The only other question I have is how do all of you make sure you are quoting enough hours? I am know asking for your business plan, but do you quote what you estimate will be the proper hours and then if you go over because of revisions and what not that is paid separate. I do have a clause in my terms and conditions about revisions being bill separately. Is that the common practice?

*Edit* I know these are novice questions, but I am trying to get my feet wet and do this right. Thanks for all the great responses!!
Some base their quote on hours they expect it will take them, but that info will stay internal. The client gets the phase price. Now how long it takes you to actually do it is based on you. Get it done quickly with no problems, more money for you, take on more clients and rake it in! Take too long and have to redo things that you messed up, etc..., less money/hr for you.

December 2nd, 2009, 3:23 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
That is exactly how I do it Skinny. I find sometimes I come out ahead, sometimes I come out behind, but it averages out. I like to think of it as the client is paying for me to do good design, not the hours of me sitting in a seat.

January 14th, 2019, 9:05 am

learnfromthisguy
I am a freelancer too and most of my clients pay me through Paypal. I think it is much convenient especially if you know how to create a paypal invoice.