Re: Someone stole my design!

October 9th, 2010, 9:16 pm

aaron
At least you can feel a bit better by knowing that your design is superior.

October 10th, 2010, 5:33 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization
Well, I guess this is exactly why you want your design picked up by a company before you show it.

And since you appear to be some kind of superstar who gets "dozens of emails" everyday from all over the world, this should seriously not ruffle your feathers like this.
Are you going to start another thread regarding this?

Hope Table by you:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cvMgVOYMwAU/S ... A+copy.jpg

Droplet Table by Offecct:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xJdRGyQmtP4/S ... air+13.jpg

As PackageID already said, it is the nature of the game and sometimes we just have to let go.

October 10th, 2010, 9:15 am

cdaisy
step four
step four
My question is how many of these goofy lamps do you really expect to sell? Millions???? How many people can't live without an antique faucet with glowing snot dripping out of it? Is it worth getting all worked up over?

I'm being a harsh critic but you deserve it with all the attitude and accusations you let fly. Let it go. You didn't re-invent the laser. You created a slightly clever piece of art.

October 10th, 2010, 11:52 am

Atohms
step four
step four
Coroflot: 12522
If someone did steal your design....feel honored, apparently you had a great idea...and you can have another one and then another one.

And the design you claimed to be stolen doesn't seem to be stolen at all. The other guy might have been inspired by your work but did not do a very good job uplifting it. Yours looks better and more pure. So you can only be mad because he copied it in such a bad way.

Grtz
Dreams R Free

October 10th, 2010, 12:17 pm

william 31
step one
step one
Your embodiment clearly suggests a water drop - to my eye the physical properties, form and interpretation of nature are followed ....and the surprise and delight factor is clearly delivered visually to the viewer. His device is interesting only in so much as one does not typically see light delivered from a faucet - it does not deliver the imagination which yours embodies. Your embodiment visually delivers something which his does not achieve.

A thought....any licensee which enters into an agreement with him has essentially spoken to the fact that they feel his piece has commercial value. If that is the case they will likely agree that your approach has more commercial value. So...let him pave the way and then after he pioneers the relationships knock on their doors. Your is enriching - his is a novelty. The end-users will see that and so will his licensees, retailers, etc.. That's my read.

November 9th, 2011, 8:39 am

Rafael Morgan
step two
step two
Another one for the collection!!

Again, on Core 77.

I can´t understand why Core 77 keep posting these things over and over again...

This Italian Designer, Fabio Servolo, knocked-off my design and called it Drip lamp.

Even the written part of the concept is basically the same than mine....

http://www.core77.com/blog/lighting/thi ... _20960.asp

Rafael Morgan.
http://www.rafaelmorgan.com/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein

November 9th, 2011, 11:55 am

dblaveino
step three
step three
Coroflot: 136132
You just won't let this die will you?

I think it's time to give it up. ;)

We get it... [A LOT of] people like to make light come out of faucets. It's a cool concept...

I think that a few Picasso quotes might be necessary:

"To copy others is necessary, but to copy oneself is pathetic."

&

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal"

How about a little Dieter Rams for you?

“Things which are different in order to be different are seldom better, but that which is made to be better is almost always different.”

Maybe some Jim Jarmusch - “Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light, and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery; celebrate it if you feel like it.”

I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore... just a little quote crazy. But in all honesty, it might be time to put it to rest... we get it, you and a thousand others made light come out of a faucet.

The chicken or the egg? No one knows for sure...

November 9th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Rafael Morgan
step two
step two
Thanks for the comment mate. :)

Well, this is an old thread...

Actually, I don´t really care about it.

However, I care a lot about originality and I thing everyone who works with creativity should worry about it as well.

I don´t believe that copying is honest. It´s my personal view, but you have the right to not agree, of course.

I mean, look at the judicial fights between Apple and Samsung, as an example. To the eyes of the law, copying is not ok, and, in some cases, the copy might cost millions to the plagiarist...

What really upsets me is that Core 77, who first published my design back in 2007 (I think), is publishing these knockoffs all the time. It´s already the second or third time, I believe.

Aren´t they capable of doing a research on their own database? Is it just laziness? Or maybe they don´t really care at all...Who knows.

Journalism, without research, is not good journalism at all.

I would like to see if they would post a copy of a famous designer product, like Stark, Rashid, Lovegrove, etc... They should care about us, "small" designers as well.

That´s all I think about it... I just try as much as possible to be honest and genuine with my designs. When big design websites like Core keep doing this, it´s almost the same as saying that copying is ok. It´s not a good example for young designers.

This is just my point of view...I´m ok and I´m not really worried about it.

In the end, we all live by the laws of the jungle anyway.
http://www.rafaelmorgan.com/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein

November 9th, 2011, 12:41 pm

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 128663
Rafael Morgan wrote: Actually, I don´t really care about it.
Yeah, obviously not.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

November 9th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Mr-914
Rafeal: I agree with you that it is an effed out concept that should be ignored from now on. ;)

However, have you communicated with Core77? I don't know what they can do, but it might help.

All of us in design see thousands of new products a year. Sometimes we forget. I don't think it is intentional nor the result of laziness. Think positive.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

November 9th, 2011, 1:45 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
Check out this rip-off awesomeness -

Exhibit A - Precor AMT 100i, introduced 2007, designed by yours truly.
AMT_885_Full Product_Side View.png
AMT side view
Exhibit B - The 'Rhino FBT', introduced maybe 2011, designed by . . . um . . . some nameless rock star designer in China.
FBT packaging.jpg
Last edited by slippyfish on November 9th, 2011, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

November 9th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization
We call this 'validation.' =) Cite it as proof of your good idea.
Cameron Nielsen
Ooblec Design Studio | LinkedIn | Personal Site
'There is an inherent intelligence to beauty' - Dori Tunstall

November 9th, 2011, 3:15 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
Yeah, sweet kitch design there, too bad kirkland didn't pick it up, you could have sold literally tens if not a hudred units. I don't want to troll but it is a little too easy, pick your battles...? Just keep cracking out better designs, also the finish on the Italian drip light is a little low...
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

November 9th, 2011, 4:26 pm

RHu
Hello Rafael,

Thank you for your interest in our editorial policies. We always appreciate feedback, whether it is positive or negative (and to your credit, I would like to acknowledge your positive feedback as well).

We understand that you are upset about the recent post on a lamp that resembles a faucet. I wrote the post, just as I selected you for the Coroflot Genius Gallery over the summer and cropped the images of your "Light Drop" design. I was also responsible for featuring your portfolio in our October newsletter.

Thus, the "other things" in the title of the post is a double entendre that also refers to your existing lamp design. I've since updated the post to include a link to the original post about the "Light Drop."

The notion of "looking like other things" is intended to be a lighthearted way of pinpointing designers' inspiration, though in this case it takes on a second meaning. Core does not condone copying; in fact, we have a forthcoming article addressing this very issue.

Best,
Ray
Core77 Editorial Team

November 9th, 2011, 6:45 pm

crewkid
step four
step four
Rafael Morgan wrote:Actually, I don´t really care about it.
In the last 3.5 years this is the only topic that you have posted on.
Your original design is very nice, and you may have a valid point, but you have become the guy who complains. You will receive more sympathy if you get back involved with the community and contribute, rather than coming back every so often to complain about how you have been wronged.