What is BMW doing?

@rkuchinsky
lol

I really don’t get car designers sometimes. Most of those I know are masterful at what they do. They out-sketch all the other designers and their feeling for shapes and proportions is usually incredible. And those hired by companies like BMW are supposed to be the best of the best. Yet they again and again manage to produce absolute turds like this. And I don’t think I know a single person that thinks this is awesome.
The most likely thing is I simply overestimate how much say the designers in a huge corporation like that actually have, with very few product releases per year and a huge marketing, sales, engineering backend, not to forget all the car “enthusiasts” who all think they know it better without actual design experience that probably work in a company like this. I think us “regular” industrial designers can be happy about how much say we actually have in the whole product developement process and how much room we (usually) get to actually propose a somewhat tasteful vision of the future.