Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

such a great piece of gear!

Just in, this amp won Best of Show at this past weekendā€™s annual NAMM show. Awesome!
[/quote]

@bepster - thatā€™s some beautiful work with the metal components - adds a very high tech touch to the work

Hereā€™s a cool teaser for a project weā€™ve been working on for the last year;

New CMF for products released in late 2016-early 2017. The colorways of Tungsten (plastics) / Black Pearl paint were in response to customer demand for a palette that would make club customization better coordinated (think purple/yellow brand statements emblazoned across the rear drive).
The console is the P62 model, designed by yours truly, 2016.
The amount of work involved in moving the CMF needle even a little bit in terms of a mid-sized manufacturing companyā€™s resources is always underestimated. Thereā€™s no seasonal approaches here - the colors have to ā€˜workā€™ for 7-10 years - and we just donā€™t have the scale for offering tons of options. Doing these big products in essentially ā€˜murderedā€™ palettes has been instructive and enlighteningā€¦quick takeaway, textures are everything, and edge flash/imperfections become very very obvious.
(photo from sales guy on LinkedIn)

We finally got to help soft-launch this new polisher we designed. Hereā€™s the video we put together that theyā€™ve been playing alongside our ID model and Frankenstein test units at tradeshows; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gnCZY6bJCs

Congrats! Admin note: I edited your post so the video would be embedded directly :slight_smile:

Sweet, thanks - I was beinā€™ lazy!

Just got a Sideswipe that I worked onā€¦ just in time for the holidays :slight_smile:

So good! :slight_smile: Did you work out the transformation too? Are there more in to be released?

Thatā€™s awesome! Iā€™ve always thought toys would be a fun thing to design, this is next level :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m not sure if this counts as ā€˜released workā€™, but I was quite happy with how it turned out so thought Iā€™d share it anyway :slight_smile:
Unfortunately itā€™s not my house in case you were going to ask :stuck_out_tongue:

Beautiful! I guess I have to post pics of the master suite Iā€™m renovating!

Sideswipe is still the coolest Transformer! Great work!

Hey, thanks Ray! I appreciate that. It is really nice to have him on the shelf. The next one we worked on was recently announced. Another one I had as a kid, Prowl. This official image isnā€™t the best view for him, but some of the details are really nice.

Sophie, sorry I missed you question. I talk about the process a bit in the video. Basically Mic and John (who you might know since you are working at Hasbro now) get me a simple story brief and I do some exploration sketches. Very loose gestural stuff, basically like the sharpie sketches I was posting for awhile in my 2017 sketch a day thread. Then then down select or combine elements and one of my guys here and I start working on very tight 2D drafted views of the alt mode (vehicle mode) only showing detail views and sections as needed. That is taken in house to be sculpted. That sculpt is then given to a Japanese guy at Takara to work out the robot mode. If you think of the G1 series where they were starting with a real car and Takara made them into robots, basically my small team and I play the roll of the car designers in the process.

It is definitely a different way of working for me, but one of the things I pride myself on is adjusting the process for each individual client and project. There have been a few times working with start ups where Iā€™ve brought on MEs and we are taking component specs from EEs and building tight CAD, there have been times where Iā€™ve been doing ethnographic research and providing more strategic insights and design language system deliverables, then there are projects like this where I just do a few hot sketches, some tight oaths and the client can take it from there. Working with Icon is pretty similar. Honestly I love that variety of not only subject matter but also project scope and length. I worked on a program this year that was 2 quarters, vs these which are a few days.

Anywho, here is Prowl :slight_smile: One of the fun parts about these G1 style toys is that the car parts are such a huge part of the robot design.

Cool stuff MD. Do they give you a reference car? For example, the red one you did looked like a Lambo/Fiero and this is sort a Datsun/Ferrariā€¦

Interesting to hear the process how your sketches translate to the detail work on their end. I assume they do the graphics and color-ups too?

200% that different client/project and different processes is key to keeping things interesting as a consultant!

R

Richard, yes, they do all of the graphics in house. These guys are very much inspired by the G1 toys so you can defiantly see those influences :slight_smile:

I worked on Ironhide and Hound as well but they changed a lot on the way to production.

One of the fun things about consulting for such a big brand is seeing all of the things they do with the collection to tell the bigger story of these characters. In this poster you can see Sideswiper and Red Alert (another G1 character, same tooling as sideswipe, but done up as a fire chiefā€™s carā€¦ must be a posh fire department :slight_smile: ) along with Prowl, Ironhide, Hound, Prime, and Chromia.

Pretty stoked for the (soft) launch of our new PRO Wading Boot.

The power of LinkedIn connected me to the folks at Michelin and spawned an awesome relationship to develop a custom compound for our boot. Taking some cues from Tennis, Football, and Training footwear I incorporated a full PU cast vamp to reduce the weight and beef up the design and durability. Bringing in Ortholite to improve comfort hopefully will help push the industry to build more comfortable and athletic boots.

I learned alot with this one, especially since this is only my 2nd piece of footwear and likely my favorite developed project to date.

Nice boot Jim!

R

Congrats Jim!!!

Just hit! EEEEKKK!! Canā€™t stand myself!

In the slowly evolving world of ceiling fans, I really think this will make some waves!

Really proud parent right now, and so happy to have spent the last 2 years working with Pendleton on this project!