What are you reading?

That was on my reading list, too. I just read the Introduction to Sagan’s “Cosmos: A Personal Voyage” yesterday. Can’t wait to dig in further :smiley:

“Varieties…” is very good. When I return this copy to the library I will purchase the book. Since its a transcript of a lecture series it is easy to read, and the dry scientific jokes come across well.

I’m reading “Search Inside Yourself”. I desperately need its insight.

I had never read the Harry Potter series when they came out. I’m now almost complete with book 4… what a series! My 9 year old has lapped me twice, just finishing the series for the second time this week.

Ugh, I hated Dune and in particular the follow ons. Almost as bad as the follow on books to Ender’s Game.

I enjoyed Dune. I didn’t love it but I appreciate it for what it is. I finished the second book a few weeks ago and did not enjoy that one. I don’t think I’ll read the third. Maybe it is just my own filter, but in Dune I felt that George Lucas might have gotten a bit of inspiration for Star Wars. The last hope of the galaxy the result of two powerful parents, the use of anarchistic weapons (in dune it was knives not "laser swords) combined with high tech things. The desert planet… of course a lot of these things are common troupes so maybe he never read Dune.

This is probably a more accurate description of my feelings for Dune. My angst towards it is more driven by my complete lack of understanding as to why it constantly gets such rave reviews.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but has anyone got any recommendations for recent in-depth or academic books regarding industrial product design?

In finding nothing interesting, I dug into Cradle to Cradle by Braungart & McDonough, well then after forty pages switched to Structures by J.E. Gordon, a bit basic but these mechanical explanations inspire all kinds of ideas for your projects!

Pre-ordering this!!!

OMG!

I am currently reading Haruki Murakami’s latest novel: Killing Commendatore (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/books/review/haruki-murakami-killing-commendatore.html). The book hasn’t seen many likers, and I wonder why. It is, as Murakami’s books go, stimulating. As usual, he relies on the non-semantic to elicit ambiguous feelings from the reader. I am nearly done, and my guess is that I will like the book. Anybody here read Murakami? If so, any thoughts? Simultaneously, I am still working on my allotted Physics readings. Currently reading: Conceptual Physics (12th Edition).

Right now I’m reading “After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley”

I read Murakami’s work too up to 1Q84, I only liked the books that were explicitly mysterious/surreal, especially the earlier works. I am also reading Connectography by Parag Khanna, it explains the world in terms of supply chains rather than politics.

Just finished ‘The One Device’, about the conception and development of the iPhone, by Brian Merchant. It was very good.

Now I’m re-reading Skunk Works, about the Lockheed aerospace engineering/build group. As well as Dune (again).

Up to 1Q84? Wow! That’s a lot of books then. I’ve read most oh his works, and I’ve liked most of it. If I had to pick a favorite, I’d say “A Wild Sheep Chase,” an early Murakami. It was quirky, intelligent, and funny IMO.

Nice to meet a Murakami reader here! :slight_smile:

Up to and including :slight_smile: Well it reads fast and completely takes you into another world, together with the humor and surreal elements it works for me. My favorite is Kafka on the Shore. But I was a little put off with the volume and lack of ending of 1Q84, then the shorter recent books aren’t really about much and I don’t need to read a book for that, so I am intimidated by Killing Commandatore and wondering where he wants to go with his writing.

I am also reading the Tao of Pooh at the moment, I guess I read a lot of books, there is a stack of about 10 that I read at a given time.

I’m a sucker for autobiographies, especially from very accomplished people.

Just finished up reading Shoe Dog by Phil Knight about the start of Nike and the story around it. Was very interesting to get the first-hand background on it, well written I thought as well.

Got Becoming by Michelle Obama on audiobook at the moment too - also interesting and insightful!

I loved Kafka on the Shore, too. Even The Wind Up Bird Chronicle was really good. His other recent work, Colorless… is not as metaphysical and surreal as his other works, but I liked it, too.

I’m reading Shantaram by Gregory Roberts. The story loosely follows his past about escaping from jail in Australia and fleeing to India in the 80’s.

Right now I’m reading “An Absolutely Remarkable Thing” by Hank Green: