Re: What are you reading?

November 29th, 2011, 2:55 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
Have any of you read Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon? Looks like it might be fun. I think I am going to read the rest of my Haruki Maurakami books this winter too.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

November 29th, 2011, 4:56 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
I had a cool professor of media back in college who made us read some Gravity's Rainbow. It was far far out. I liked the idea that gravity has history.

I'm reading that Willpower book. Its entertaining and a little bit useful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/books ... wanted=all
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

November 29th, 2011, 5:01 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
simon_four_fingers wrote:Have any of you read Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon? Looks like it might be fun. I think I am going to read the rest of my Haruki Maurakami books this winter too.
Thin I've read all the Murakami books to date. Great stuff.

Actually just picked up the new one 1Q84 which is supposed to be fantastic, just need to find some time to get into the 1000+ page tome...

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

November 29th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Robin
step four
step four
+1 for Murakami, though I've actually read only negative reviews of IQ84 so far.

Let us know what you think.

November 29th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Eddison
step four
step four
Currently reading Nile Rogers' "Le Freak." The storytelling of his life experiences can get pretty choppy at times, but it's really interesting insight on how the music came to life. At times it seems he approaches the music (and himself/band) like a product and then makes the necessary decisions to create and present the music for the target audience.

I actually remember Nile from Sesame Street: http://thecollectivereview.com/nile-rod ... treet.html
Dang, I'm old :o

November 29th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Sain
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 252560

I've heard great things about it for awhile and finally got around to getting a copy.
emmanuel carrillo - emmanuelcarrillo.com

November 29th, 2011, 10:20 pm

mgnt8
step four
step four
simon_four_fingers wrote:Have any of you read Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon? Looks like it might be fun. I think I am going to read the rest of my Haruki Maurakami books this winter too.
Read Gravity Rainbow years ago. Demanding, technical, and disorienting.
The Crying of Lot 49 is a nice way to ease into Pynchon

Along the same lines End Zone by Don Dellillo, if only for the football game scene

November 30th, 2011, 1:04 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization
I have an hour drive each way and have been meaning to get my audiobook game on for awhile.

Finally threw Steve Jobs on my iPod a week or two ago and finished it today.

Loved all the stuff from the early years. Unbeknownst to me, my grandmother bought it a few weeks ago and read it in 5 days, it made for awesome Thanksgiving conversation.

November 30th, 2011, 9:30 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
Get an Audable account, the points roll over and it's like $7/mo. Or hit up the library and rip the CD's on your 'puter. :roll:
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm

November 30th, 2011, 10:15 pm

NURB
Sain wrote:Image

I've heard great things about it for awhile and finally got around to getting a copy.
I've read most of Bourdain's stuff, and this is the best one. Quick witted and well written.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

December 1st, 2011, 10:17 am

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
Travisimo wrote: I agree, and Steve without the success he's had, his behavior would just be obnoxious and strange

That is so true for a lot of people, I remember Russell Brand saying something like without success his hair cut would just mean he was insane.

December 1st, 2011, 1:00 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
NURB wrote:
Sain wrote:Image

I've read most of Bourdain's stuff, and this is the best one. Quick witted and well written.
The latest one - Medium Raw - is pretty good, but each chapter is basically like an episode of No Reservations. There are a lot of re-used paragraphs in the TV scripts. Which isn't bad, but it does feel a little recycled.

That said, the chapter on Things That People Should Know How To Cook is really good. Its like for designers - can you sketch, do some kind of CAD, present your idea, etc.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

December 27th, 2011, 11:08 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
Read two books in two days-

The Sisters Brothers-
http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Brothers- ... 0062041266

Great read. One of those books you can't put down.From Amazon review (I can't describe it better)-
Dewitt's bang-up second novel (after Ablutions) is a quirky and stylish revisionist western. When a frontier baron known as the Commodore orders Charlie and Eli Sisters, his hired gunslingers, to track down and kill a prospector named Herman Kermit Warm, the brothers journey from Oregon to San Francisco, and eventually to Warm's claim in the Sierra foothills, running into a witch, a bear, a dead Indian, a parlor of drunken floozies, and a gang of murderous fur trappers. Eli's deadpan narration is at times strangely funny (as when he discovers dental hygiene, thanks to a frontier dentist dispensing free samples of "tooth powder that produced a minty foam") but maintains the power to stir heartbreak, as with Eli's infatuation with a consumptive hotel bookkeeper. As more of the brothers' story is teased out, Charlie and Eli explore the human implications of many of the clichés of the old west and come off looking less and less like killers and more like traumatized young men. With nods to Charles Portis and Frank Norris, DeWitt has produced a genre-bending frontier saga that is exciting, funny, and, perhaps unexpectedly, moving.

Then today, Misadventures by Millard Kauffman. His first book was Bowl of Cherries he wrote when he was 90. He was a co-creator of mr. Magoo and was also great. Published by Mc Sweeney's so you know it is good (and good cover art!). Excellent. Should be a movie!

From Mc Sweeney's-

http://store.mcsweeneys.net/index.cfm/f ... erback.cfm
Jack Hopkins, an ill-fated real-estate agent with an unhappy past, doesn’t like what he does for a living. Luckily, though, he has two new job offers: Darlene Hunt wants to pay him ten million dollars to kill her husband, and her husband wants to hire him to kill Darlene Hunt. Before he can figure out who to work for, though, or how a private island off the coast of Mexico fits into it all, the dead bodies have already started piling up. The second novel from Millard Kaufman—nonagenarian author, Oscar-nominated screenwriter, and World War II Marine—Misadventure is a serpentine murder mystery set against a backdrop of LA real-estate schemes, ruby-wearing femmes fatale, and more love triangles than any one man should attempt to get into. Written with a style and flair that’s reminiscent of Chinatown by way of the Coen Brothers, it’s an unforgettable addition to the genre—a noir par excellence, with wit to match.
Reading so much lately with some time off makes me really want to dive into my bookshelf. I buy a lot of books with intent to read but have been so busy I haven't got to a few and there is a few I'd like to re-read. Next up I think is 1Q84....

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

December 28th, 2011, 6:09 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I'm reading the Steve Jobs biography. It has been on my nightstand since it came out, and I'm finally digging into it.....

December 29th, 2011, 3:24 pm

rachelkroft
step three
step three
Nice. Wanting to pick that up. . .

I am currently in the middle of "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell. Highly recommend it to all.
Rachel Kroft
www.rachelkroft.com