Re: What are you reading?

March 11th, 2011, 2:02 pm

linda_dong
step three
step three
Coroflot: 237807
yo wrote: Next up is Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges.... I read a lot when I travel, and I've been traveling a lot...
I adore anything written by Borges. I've carried his Collected Fictions novel with me ever since high school.
Trying to look good limits my life - Sagmeister
http://www.lindadong.com

March 13th, 2011, 3:14 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
linda_dong wrote: Also just finished Brave New World for the first time. Next up on the list is Animal Farm and A Clockwork Orange. Yes dystopian/post-apocolytic novels share a soft spot in my heart.
"
Brave New World is pretty fantastic. In that vein have read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, "1984", "Fahrenheit 451" and the grand daddy of all of those "We" Yevgeny Zamyatin... written in 1921 and then banned, it predated 1984 by 27 years and walks the same themes but is even stronger in my opinion.

March 13th, 2011, 3:38 pm

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
Just picked up The Instructions by Adam Levin.

Another McSweeny's publication. I flew through the last two books I was reading, so now looking for something more substantial. At 1030 pages, I think this should last me for a little while....

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

March 14th, 2011, 1:57 am

linda_dong
step three
step three
Coroflot: 237807
yo wrote: Brave New World is pretty fantastic. In that vein have read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, "1984", "Fahrenheit 451" and the grand daddy of all of those "We" Yevgeny Zamyatin... written in 1921 and then banned, it predated 1984 by 27 years and walks the same themes but is even stronger in my opinion.
Haha, right before I finished Brave New World, I re-read Fahrenheit 451 (one of my all-time favorites), read 1984 for the first time and began We. Seems like we're on the same literary wavelength.
Trying to look good limits my life - Sagmeister
http://www.lindadong.com

March 14th, 2011, 4:52 am

magellan
Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Very creative humor, I'm loving every single line of it.

March 14th, 2011, 11:28 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
linda_dong wrote:
yo wrote: Brave New World is pretty fantastic. In that vein have read "Anthem" by Ayn Rand, "1984", "Fahrenheit 451" and the grand daddy of all of those "We" Yevgeny Zamyatin... written in 1921 and then banned, it predated 1984 by 27 years and walks the same themes but is even stronger in my opinion.
Haha, right before I finished Brave New World, I re-read Fahrenheit 451 (one of my all-time favorites), read 1984 for the first time and began We. Seems like we're on the same literary wavelength.
I call the genre "downer sci-fi" , super depressing but usually worth it. I've noticed a lot of bookstores starting "classic sci-fi" sections which is cool.

Not sci-fi but I you like a good downer, try a Kafka novel... That was a step too far for me.

March 16th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Lmo
Another great story of the sea; Two Years Before the Mast, by Richard Henry Dana, Jr.; first published in 1840.

I read it about fifteen years ago and saw it reviewed in Sunday's Wall Street Journal; "the life of a common sailor at sea as it really is". A true story, a documentary really, experienced by the author, most of it takes place in "my back yard" so to speak ... the California coast between San Diego (Dana Point) to SF; San Pedro, Santa Barbara, Nipomo (near Pismo Beach) San Simeon, and north.

"Pilgrim" sailed from Boston in 1834 bound for the California coast, via Cape Horn, to trade for steer hides. Technical in nature (with regard to commercial sailing craft of the era) and overflowing with observations of daily life both afloat and ashore in early pre-American California.

Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

March 19th, 2011, 5:58 pm

bico
John McPhee's "Silk Parachute" - I thought he'd be writing about base jumping, but alas no. Lacrosse essay looks very promising...

http://www.heladisc.com
http://www.nklinedesign.com

July 25th, 2011, 12:10 pm

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
I'm reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

Great read and I can't wait to finish it so I can check out the TV show on HBO by the same name.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Song ... 811&sr=8-2

July 25th, 2011, 12:42 pm

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization
ip_wirelessly wrote:I'm reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

Great read and I can't wait to finish it so I can check out the TV show on HBO by the same name.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Song ... 811&sr=8-2
I'm reading it too, it's great. I have HBO so I am trying to stay away from it when it comes on but I am excited to watch it.

I also saw Midnight in Paris this weekend and it's inspired me to go back and read some old classics. The basis of the movie (a woody allen movie) is an american writer in the present walks though paris at night and finds himself in 1920's Paris w/ Hemmingway, the Fitzgeralds, Dali, Picasso... It's a really good movie.

July 25th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
Just finished "long way round" by Ewin McGregor... great travel adventure and I really want to see the mini-series now.

Also finishing up "Arthur C. Clark: the Collected Stories," which is good, but some feel a little dated since many of the short stories are from the 50's. Amazingly, the majority are still great reads and feel modern today

July 25th, 2011, 4:48 pm

van_ID
step four
step four
Neal Stephenson's books have kept me busy for the past few years.

Cryptonomicon is my personal favorite. I thought it was a bit of a slow starter as it flips back between 3 stories so it takes a while to get into all 3 - but once you're in about 300pages you're hooked on all 3.
Snowcrash is a classic that would appeal to any ID'er
The Diamond Age is also pretty relevant to industrial design (nanotechnology, 3d printing)

Just finished the Baroque Cycle. The last book is amazing.

Highly recommended...

July 25th, 2011, 5:07 pm

crewkid
step four
step four

Im almost finished reading "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk.
His books are all amazing. Chuck Palahniuk writes about some seriously twisted stuff.

August 11th, 2011, 7:26 am

ginrod
step two
step two
@van_id i soaked up neal´s books in the last years, my favorite was diamond age, but the baroque triology was also epic :)

in the last weeks i read "the city & the city" from china mieville, really interesting scenario, a story about a crime in a city that where neighbours have to totally ignore each others, depending on their citizenship.
also "yellow blue tibia" from roberts adam, but while the book had some nice ideas, only the ending was living up to my expectations.

right now i am hooked on "containment" from cantrell, a nice little science fiction story about the first colonisation of other planets, got it for 1 dollar from the kindle store.

August 11th, 2011, 8:15 am

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
I just found a bunch of old indy comics being discarded, some old Frank Miller stuff in there too. I think I'll be cutting through it pretty quick.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can