Re: What are you reading?

December 29th, 2018, 5:20 pm

AndyMc
step four
step four
I’m reading Shantaram by Gregory Roberts. The story loosely follows his past about escaping from jail in Australia and fleeing to India in the 80’s.

December 30th, 2018, 1:37 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Right now I'm reading "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green:
https://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Remar ... 1524743445

January 3rd, 2019, 3:36 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 2572
yo wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 8:55 am
I enjoyed Dune. I didn't love it but I appreciate it for what it is. I finished the second book a few weeks ago and did not enjoy that one. I don't think I'll read the third.
Currently reading 'Dune: Messiah' which of course is book #2 - for the second time - and agree its not as fluid or enjoyable as the first. A lot of the story takes place in people's minds and through disjointed conversations. Descriptions of characters and places however seem to apply more closely to the Lynch film of book #1, such as the Guild Steersman. I plan to read book #3 after this just to get the full Frank Herbert experience and have more grounding in the whole mythology before the film(s) come out. The first book, which I've read four times by now, gets better with each reading. There's an aspect of the timeframe in which it was written (1960's) with the focus on planetary ecology that maybe should be taken as context for reading. I just find it incredible. The jacket art for the Penguin Galaxy versions introduced me to the graphic design work of Alex Trochut, who is absolutely amazing.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

January 8th, 2019, 6:21 pm

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
I have been juggling between listening to audiobooks while walking the dog, and reading traditional novels.

Reading Game of Thrones for the second time through. Even better the second time.
Trevor Noah's "Born a Crime" is fantastic so far. About 25% through.
Just finished listening to Stephen King's "On Writing". If you're an aspiring novelist, it is dated in the sense that it doesn't consider the new self-publishing methodologies, but it is a fantastic read none the less.
I read Mortal Engines with my son. The book is entertaining at best. The movie is dog shit.
Before "On Writing" I listened to "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood. 6 out of 10 stars.

I'm looking for a good Sci-Fi yarn to listen to next.

February 2nd, 2019, 2:11 am

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
I just finished "The Player of Games" by Iain M. Banks. Two moments in the book that caught me off guard in the relevance to today's politics. The biggest one was the use of the term "Fake News" in the exact context of how it is used today. The book was published in 1988.

I'm on to "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel.

I'm also reading "Three Dark Crowns" by Kendare Blake with my son.

March 13th, 2019, 6:14 am

jimmyjazz
I finished reading The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia) --by C.S. Lewis. Now I can firmly say that this is my favorite book.