Re: What are you reading?

September 7th, 2018, 1:48 pm

NURB
I had never read the Harry Potter series when they came out. I'm now almost complete with book 4... what a series! My 9 year old has lapped me twice, just finishing the series for the second time this week.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

October 4th, 2018, 1:28 am

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
yo wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:12 pm
I just started Dune. I can't believe I've never read this! With a new Dune movie coming out in 2019 I figured I better read it.
Ugh, I hated Dune and in particular the follow ons. Almost as bad as the follow on books to Ender's Game.

October 4th, 2018, 8:55 am

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I enjoyed Dune. I didn't love it but I appreciate it for what it is. I finished the second book a few weeks ago and did not enjoy that one. I don't think I'll read the third. Maybe it is just my own filter, but in Dune I felt that George Lucas might have gotten a bit of inspiration for Star Wars. The last hope of the galaxy the result of two powerful parents, the use of anarchistic weapons (in dune it was knives not "laser swords) combined with high tech things. The desert planet.... of course a lot of these things are common troupes so maybe he never read Dune.

October 6th, 2018, 3:41 pm

jon_winebrenner
Coroflot: 44466
yo wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 8:55 am
I didn't love it but I appreciate it for what it is.
This is probably a more accurate description of my feelings for Dune. My angst towards it is more driven by my complete lack of understanding as to why it constantly gets such rave reviews.

October 8th, 2018, 7:31 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization
Coroflot: 76078
Maybe a bit off-topic, but has anyone got any recommendations for recent in-depth or academic books regarding industrial product design?
http://www.id-z.one
IDZone - Product Design || Visualisation || 3D Printing

October 12th, 2018, 5:46 am

mellero
Now I'm reading Statistics in a Nutshell by Sarah Boslaugh and it's like homework help for me in statistics. A voluminous book that covers most of the statistical methods. Written easily. I like a detailed explanation of how everything works, as well as sections about specific methods for medicine, business, pedagogy. I'm writing a review of this book, and if someone is interested, then an example of article review may be useful to you for this kind of work since various useful tips are given there. Highly recommend if you want to know more about statistics itself and how it used in real life.