Re: What are you reading?

August 30th, 2011, 2:10 am

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization
"Where Good Ideas Come From: the natural history of innovation" by Steven Johnson

Great history of breakthrough and innovation, showing how ideas rarely occur in isolation, but are the product of ideas 'bumping' into other ideas.

His point is to have good ideas, you need to share your ideas with others, read a lot, do a lot, meet other people, create communities.

Very inspiring and interesting read, plus for a promo. has an "RSA Animate"-style version of his TED talk:

August 30th, 2011, 7:13 am

Mr-914
Just finished "Red Plenty" by Francis Spufford and "The Affluent Society" by John Kenneth Galbraith this week.

Red Plenty is a great collection of short historical fiction stories. I don't read a lot of fiction, but this book manages to compress eight non-fiction books on a variety of topics into one readable book. It captures the enthusiasm and potential of 1950's Soviet communism along with the oppression and decay that would later come. It's worth reading just for this quote: "What's a question mark? An exclamation point in middle age." I think if you don't get that, you aren't old enough. I know I wouldn't have understood 5-6 years ago.

The Affluent Society is an analysis of capitalism. JK was at his best here. I love his argument at the end of the book that the government guaranty a minimum income for everyone. He argues the additional few people who would drop out of the labor market would make no real difference (It's true, look at profits today with 9% unemployment). He also argues for a sales tax in order to balance the spending on private consumption versus public needs (education, infrastructure). Fascinating how much this book speaks to our 21st century problems even as it was written in 1958.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

September 1st, 2011, 7:10 am

Mr-914
Just finished Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. How the hell isn't this book talked more about by designers? The chapter on Herman-Miller's Aeron was gold.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

What are you reading?

September 1st, 2011, 10:35 am

PackageID
Coroflot: 25698
Just picked up "the Lucifer effect" by Philip Zimbardo. Haven't gotten into it yet, but it is about the Stanford prison experiment and how environments change people's behaviors. Look really good.
-Justin Coble-

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

September 30th, 2011, 5:20 pm

GonzoInventor
I too have just finished the Millennium Trilogy. Will be interested to see how David Fincher will ruin it.

Anyways, books... My current reads are:

Holiday in Hell, PJ O'Rourke
Fables #33, Bill Willingham
Engineering Design Methods, Nigel Cross
A Game of Thrones, George R R Martin

October 1st, 2011, 3:05 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
I liked the Swedish films a lot. The first one was about the best book to film adaption I have seen. The second and third are not bad but they had to move and change a few things. We can hope the US films are half as good.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

October 3rd, 2011, 7:24 am

Mr-914
I finally read the last of the Millennium series. Great read. I think my favs are the first and third books, because of their subtle economic lessons. The first book dismisses the importance of stock markets, the third explains how property bubbles can develop (and Larsson was writing this 4 years before the Anglo-American bubble popping....pretty amazing foresight!).

I'm 6% (love Kindle) into Mutual Aid. It's a book that was written shortly after Darwin's Origin of Species, Mutual Aid discusses the way animals helping each other out has spurred evolution. It's a response to the people who quickly adopted the thinking of, "Survival of the fittest". Mutual Aid points out that sometimes the fittest species are the weak ones that stick together, rather than the strongest individuals. Very interesting. It makes me wonder about how design evolves and team work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Mutual-Aid-Evoluti ... 671&sr=8-1
Ray Jepson

October 19th, 2011, 4:48 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
I just pre-ordered this one...

October 19th, 2011, 11:41 am

Mr-914
Travis: I think it's my next read too...
Ray Jepson

November 29th, 2011, 1:04 am

PackageID
Re-reading "The Design of Business" by Roger Martin

I am surprise to see that no one is reading "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson. I picked it up while traveling on vacation and have not really gotten that far, but it seems to be a well written book. Can't wait to go further.

J
-Justin Coble-

November 29th, 2011, 10:50 am

rkuchinsky
Coroflot: 33013
I read Steve Jobs when it came out. Finished it on one flight to China.

Was OK book, but took a while to get into. I didn't really like the writing style that much, and didn't like Steve that much either based on the description, to be honest.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

What are you reading?

November 29th, 2011, 11:05 am

PackageID
rkuchinsky wrote:I read Steve Jobs when it came out. Finished it on one flight to China.

Was OK book, but took a while to get into. I didn't really like the writing style that much, and didn't like Steve that much either based on the description, to be honest.

R
I have only gotten a bit into it so far. Seems like an easy read though.
-Justin Coble-

November 29th, 2011, 11:38 am

Robin
step four
step four
Just finished Stephen King's latest, 11/22/63.
I'm not a King fan, but the premise sounded like exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
It was pretty good, primarily for the mechanics of the plot (and King obviously has a knack for suspense), but the characters and dialog had me rolling my eyes.

Now I'm reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, because I was impressed with last year's Never Let Me Go.
Saw the movie years ago and have forgotten most of it.
So far so good.

November 29th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
rkuchinsky wrote: I didn't really like the writing style that much...
I agree, and Steve without the success he's had, his behavior would just be obnoxious and strange

some of the stories did make me really laugh though. Stuff like when he would refuse to wear shoes and someone found that when he stressed himself out, he used to soak his feet in the toilet. So ridiculous!

November 29th, 2011, 12:30 pm

GURU
step four
step four
weston a price: nutrition and physical degeneration
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 2743 times