shuphrk88
step three
step three
You guys and your fancy brews. As a recent graduate, Lemme tell you we didn't have such refined tastes.

The choice of beer for college folks on a budget? There's always the tried and true Miller Lite and Keystone Light, but if you're on a tight budget, I mean a REALLY tight budget, nothing beats Beer 30.

Never in my life have I tasted anything more terrible.
beer30506.jpg
beer30506.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
I'd rather fail than to have never tried
www.coroflot.com/bartliang
Vee
step one
step one
Greenman wrote:
crewkid wrote:Does anyone else brew there own?
If anyone does ill start a separate thread and we can share recipes.
I've brewed 25-30 gallons of mead over the past couple years, way easier than beer...but, also not beer.
it may be easier but it also takes too long :)
but it's worth it

my boyfriend and I brew, but we mostly use pre-made kits with occasional variation. would be nice to get good enough to improvise
NURB
shuphrk88 wrote:You guys and your fancy brews. As a recent graduate, Lemme tell you we didn't have such refined tastes.

The choice of beer for college folks on a budget? There's always the tried and true Miller Lite and Keystone Light, but if you're on a tight budget, I mean a REALLY tight budget, nothing beats Beer 30.

Never in my life have I tasted anything more terrible.
Oh my god, that's real? Amazing.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro
bennybtl
step four
step four
Beer 30? I love trying cheap beer. For fun.

I thought I was cheap when I drank American Ice, 12 pack is $2.99

There is also Minhaus brews such as Mountain Crest and Clear Creek Ice. They say it's "damn good beer" but it's just OK. At least Clear Creek hs 6.2 ABV, and I've seen 12 packs for $3.50 on sale :oops:

Almost forgot Axehead: 40oz @ 11% :shock:
PackageID
Coroflot: 25698
Oh god!! this thread has gone right down the $hitter now. :D Just joking we have all drank our fair share of cheap beer. This used to my weapon of choice in college. $6.99 a 12 pack
images-8.jpeg
images-8.jpeg (8.1 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
-Justin Coble-

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-
Lmo
I've brewed 25-30 gallons of mead over the past couple years, way easier than beer...but, also not beer.
Thread Jack

There is nothing cheaper, nor more deadly, than dorm-made Apple Jack.

Cheap apple cider, allowed to ferment next to the radiator in your dorm room for a week or so. Then over a period of days, the bottle(s) is/are hung out the dorm window. The water in suspension freezes and rises to the top of the bottle, while the alcohol remains in liquid form [fractional crystallization]. Each day you simply scoop off the ice that has formed, causing the alcohol and the apple flavor that is left behind to become more concentrated.

Each day (that you can stand to wait) the amount of ice that is forming will be less and less, until eventually no more ice will form at all.

The colder the weather, the better the "vintage"; 0° = 14% alcohol by volume, -10° = 20% If you've ever spent a winter in Lafayette, Indiana you'll know that 1) -10 isn't that unusual, and 2) there's not much else to do in the dorm in January. :wink:

[pun intended]
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards
bennybtl
step four
step four
I actually know a bar that makes it's own applejack.... let's just say it's not a "high class" place. It's actually pretty tasty.
Boosted561
step four
step four
Here's a new beer from where I work that you guys might enjoy. It uses Pre-Prohibition recipe found in an old logbook dating back before 1919. The formula uses Strisselsplat and Hersbrucker hops which gives this beer a nice hoppy taste (26IBU's) and the ABV is @ 5.5%. It's currently in test market right now @ a few bars in Milwaukee, Chicago, San Jose, San Francisco, and Washington DC. When you order, it also comes in a special growler as well.

Go to the website to find the local bars. http://www.batch19.com/landing.html

If you guys get out to try it, let me know what you think.

Ben, let me know if you're interested in trying this. They have it setup here at the office, so you can stop by and try it out. :mrgreen:
NURB
Boosted561 wrote:They have it setup here at the office, so you can stop by and try it out. :mrgreen:
Seriously. You're killing me here. I've got to get a job at a brewery, and that's that.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro
bennybtl
step four
step four
psst, charles, I'm so there... :P
Boosted561
step four
step four
NURB wrote:
Boosted561 wrote:They have it setup here at the office, so you can stop by and try it out. :mrgreen:
Seriously. You're killing me here. I've got to get a job at a brewery, and that's that.
lol, if you're ever in MKE hit me up.

@Ben, check your phone. :D
Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
NURB wrote:
yeah really - that sounds like a great working environment! Congrats on the great job

That background on the applejack is interesting LMO, I've always heard that name tossed around up in Pennsylvania, but figured it was just apple juice left to ferment on it's own. Thanks for sharing. Since you mention it, was just down in Spain last week and had the Txotx at a sidería.. you do it in country restaurants where they have these giant barrels of cider made from just apples and water only. You open the tap, catch as much as you want, and drink as much as you want. Pais Vasco rocks

Lmo
Trav, could you give us a phonetic pronunciation of Txotx i.e. tics-o-tics, or tex-o-tics ... is the first "T" silent?
Lew Morris

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards
Lmo
Which got me to thinking about Schlitz. Has anyone tried the resurrected recipe?

"When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer."

Lew Morris

GURU
step four
step four
I attended the "North American Craft Beer Fest" in Boston last month. $40, 86 breweries, 426 beers = one epic time!

I suggest finding one in your area:
http://beeradvocate.com/events/calendar/2010/07