Things to do in Grand Rapids

bah!
again this year i had some stuff come up that wont allow me to attend the event. :confused:

good luck though, should still be a few core members there.

That’s too bad. I will be heading there in a little over an hour. if you can come out later give me a call (620)474-6689.

We went to the GRAM earlier. The Calder exhibit was top notch! really cool stuff. We also checked out Kendell College, there was some awesome student artwork there.

I will attending with a few folks from the office, see you there.

After one IDSA conference there was a discussion about how Core people should be able to find each other. I don’t remember the suggestions, but it might be fun to have something that lets us know who each other is.

Tim, I believe we had that discussion in Phoenix, I had mentioned I was planning to make buttons using people’s avatars…oddly enough I thought of doing that again before this event, but nothing, work takes priority again.

off to D2

How about if everyone does their own?

congratulations on second place ross

i just came upon this discusssion this morning, but was in attendance last night, and had an entry in the competition. the bench was cool and i admire your effort on the glass smooth finish

Congrats to the second place! Your chair was pretty awesome, and had some great craftsmanship. I can only imagine the time you spend sanding and painting that thing.

Congrats Ross and it was nice to meet you, hope you had a nice visit to GR!

Ross,

Saw your entry today…Very Awesome!

That paint job was sooo clean…Did you do that yourself or did you take it to a professional Auto Body Shop?

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone! I had a great time up there. Luckily the weather was beautiful so that really enhanced our experience. We got to see a lot of the city and it really seems like a cool place to live. Hopefully I’ll get to visit again.

Thank you!

Which piece did you design? There were a lot of cool entries at the show.

Thanks!

I lost track of how many hours I put into the bench. I’m just so glad I’m finished with it. It really was a labor of love.

It was really nice meeting you Ricky! I’m glad you made it out to the show. It’s nice that I can finally put a face with a name on here.

Thank you!

I did all of the prep work and priming on the bench. This includes about 3 gallons of body filler and 2.5 gallons of primer. I took it to a local hot rod shop for the final paint work. I felt like I was just spinning my wheels and not making any progress so I decided to give the pros a shot and just let them finish it.

I have photos of the whole making of the bench and plan on putting something together to post on here.

i did the birch ply chair in the far corner, kind of a companion piece to my winning entry from the '08 competition

Was it the Breakplane Chair? If so you have a pretty cool chair. I remember seeing the table last year on some blogs or something. Was it difficult to get the wood to flex the way you have it?

that’s the one.

it wasn’t too difficult once i figured it out :wink:

Warning: complete self promotion :slight_smile:

You can come hear me speak at the IDSA District conference. My presentation will be “A Sheep in Wolves Clothing: How to be a Design thinker in an Analytical world.”

I am fine with your shameless self promotion. I think that’s what life is all about anymore :laughing:

As far as a way to find c77 people at these events it there could be a very simply solution. Just make a 1"-2" button that you could have made at a local shop. This would be pretty simple. Just a c77 logo with your name and username on a button you attach to your shirt or bag etc…

If some one at c77 would give me some vector versions of the various c77 logos I would be glad to create some button templates for everyone to use.

I will be there, (idsa mideast), should we start a new thread on it? seems like a decent amount of us Midwesterners on core.

I plan to be in attendance.

I look forward to chatting again Tim.

IDiot - Look forward to seeing you there.

Ross - Any luck with getting vector artwork and creating templates?