Re: What cell phone do you own?

January 4th, 2014, 5:02 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
Nice clear documentation... too bad they don't control the implementation. It is a difficult relationship. When I was at frog we butted up against that several times working with them on hardware/software that they didn't control implementation on, they could only influence. It is a n interesting company that way, I suppose they manage risk and investment that way though.

January 4th, 2014, 5:19 pm

NURB
You have to wonder if Android would have been as successful or as prevalent in the marketplace had they taken a firmer stance on OS design and control a la iOS. I like to think they would have been, but it's definitely possible there would be fewer players in the hardware game.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

January 4th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization
Travisimo wrote:
Cameron wrote:Travisimo, you should talk to someone with a Lumia and WP8. Depends what your app needs are, but honestly the parity is greater than ever and Lumia hardware and design quality is iPhone level. They've even been doing curved glass edges for a few years before Apple is getting to it. It's just that old stereotypes die hard, most WP complaints were outdated 12 months ago but still get parroted about.
I had the Lumia 800 and really loved it - such black blacks and the hardware design was incredible.... that was up until around july when the screen broke

my problem was apps not being available. And being forced into Bing. And the OS pushing me into Skydrive when I was more invested in other services. And lastly, how the war between Microsoft and Google was starting to affect how I used my google apps products on the Windows phone.

I did really like Windows Phone, and the 1020 camera is top notch - I've just gone so far away from Apple these last couple phones, I'm kind of curious about them again
WP has come a long way since the 800. I'm actually surprised how far it's come in the 20 months I've had my 900. I have embraced the push into bing/skydrive, so much so that I've been trying out skydrive/bing/outlook only the last few months. Outlook.com has some pretty awesome UX features. Quite nice actually, less noise than Google, and it's nice supporting an ambitious underdog who isn't quite competent enough to take over the world with robot dogs. =)
Cameron Nielsen
Ooblec Design Studio | LinkedIn | Personal Site
'There is an inherent intelligence to beauty' - Dori Tunstall

August 10th, 2014, 1:59 pm

kamranakhtar
Samsung Glaxy S3

August 11th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Generatewhatsnext
full self-realization
full self-realization
Here's an answer driven by the marketing and sales divisions of Verizon; On July 4th I dropped my Lumia 822 WP for the umpteenth time and finally cracked the screen, no biggie, I have the insurance and they just send you a reconditioned/new device for free.

Not anymore, now I have to pay $99 for the reconditioned phone...umm, Verizon, why do I pay $8 a month for insurance again? "These fees are now in effect (as of 3 months ago) because smart phones are so expensive to replace."

So I decided to just go to the Verizon store and upgrade to either the new Lumia Icon or the Samsung ATIV SE, after all I was almost a year overdue for a new contract and surely they want to sink their hooks in me again, right?

Not anymore, in order to upgrade to any phone in the store I must relinquish my grandfathered unlimited data plan (oh, you're a tricky mistress Verizon - you b*tch) AND "all upgrades (as of last month) now must pay a $30 fee for educational programs to help users better understand their smart phones."

So Verizon is feeling some sort of financial pinch because no one understands their expensive smart phones. Nice.

So I got on Amazon, bought a new, unlocked Lumia 822 for $99 (a white one this time), activated it, upgraded it to WP8.1 and all is back to normal. I gave my son my old one to use for gaming, kept my plan as-is (unlimited data is a nice thing) and screwed Verizon. :)
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

August 19th, 2014, 10:50 pm

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization
Just announced today, the Sharp AQUOS Crystal coming to the US. Gotta get me one.

August 21st, 2014, 11:46 am

Mr-914
I feel like Nokia / Apple ratio was close to 50/50 at the IDSA conference. I was pretty shocked. I had phone envy with just about everyone with my lowly 520. Still love it though.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

October 11th, 2014, 10:28 pm

AndyMc
step four
step four
I have a Lumia 1020. I was mildy unimpressed with WP at first, but it has progressed leaps and bounds in the past 12 months. Everything related to the phone is great, but it really could do with the ability to expand storage with an SD-card, particularly due to the resolution of the camera.

October 13th, 2014, 9:19 am

Generatewhatsnext
full self-realization
full self-realization
AndyMc wrote:I have a Lumia 1020. I was mildy unimpressed with WP at first, but it has progressed leaps and bounds in the past 12 months. Everything related to the phone is great, but it really could do with the ability to expand storage with an SD-card, particularly due to the resolution of the camera.
Isn't the 1020 the one with the attachable camera accessory that acts as a camera-like handle and also provides extra SD storage?
Last edited by Generatewhatsnext on October 13th, 2014, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

October 13th, 2014, 10:35 am

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

I've have a matte white Lumia 1020 with camera grip for about 6 months now. The camera grip just lives in my bag and is awesome for when I realize I didn't charge my phone just as the fam is getting out of the car at a trailhead. It is awesome. Basically an extra battery with more functionality (big shutter button, extra battery, universal tripod mount, nice charging UI). As Andy said, Windows has matured quite rapidly over the past 12-18 months, and already has some unique features that are really sweet.

I don't care about SD storage, I just have a 230GB Onedrive account for $6/mo. Getting time to reorganize, it's almost maxed out with all my wasteful files from school and portfolios and 10,000 family pictures, etc. =)
Cameron Nielsen
Ooblec Design Studio | LinkedIn | Personal Site
'There is an inherent intelligence to beauty' - Dori Tunstall

October 14th, 2014, 6:12 am

AndyMc
step four
step four
Generatewhatsnext wrote: Isn't the 1020 the one with the attachable camera accessory that acts as a camera-like handle and also provides extra SD storage?
I'm unsure if it can add an SD card, but it does add a lot of battery. I've wanted the camera-case since I got the phone, but my phone lives in my pocket most of the time, and can't quite justify if I'm going to use the features/extra battery just yet.
Cameron wrote:[img]
I don't care about SD storage, I just have a 230GB Onedrive account for $6/mo. Getting time to reorganize, it's almost maxed out with all my wasteful files from school and portfolios and 10,000 family pictures, etc. =)
I've only just setup a proper Skydrive/Onedrive account (1TB with Office 365 win), it had completely slipped my mind to start using that :shock:

Large online storage is always fun with my lowly Australian internet speeds.

November 19th, 2014, 8:47 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization
I have the Samsung Galaxy S3, with an At&t unlimited data (but if you hit 5GB stuff will just not work anymore), unlimited texting and more minutes than anybody uses anymore, all for ~$85/mo. I'm an original At&t mobile customer,and that will get you nowhere with them as far as flexibility is concerned. Republic Wireless just went national and uses the Moto X, a phone that Gizmodo loves, is $40/mo for unlimited 4g/3g data/voice/text and has no contract.

Is anybody else on Republic or are the other MVNO networks better options?

I figure dump At&t, try Republic and if it sucks just get something else.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

November 20th, 2014, 9:26 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
Just made the jump from 7 years with an iPhone to a Nexus 6...we will see how the shock to my OSX ecosystem goes.

November 20th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Uvence
Blackberry Z10. Had it for a while and works perfect.

November 20th, 2014, 2:53 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
I thought about making the switch to a Nexus or a Moto but I ended up sticking with an iPhone 6 about a month ago. It is super nice. I got a nexus tablet and I just can't seem to get the hang of it.