Re: What cell phone do you own?

October 15th, 2009, 2:50 pm

_smart_works_
step two
step two
I have a blackberry bold, i dont have an internet contract though so i just use it for calls and texts, i like the full qwerty keyboard and it has good voice clarity and good signal
[img]
http://www.iricowb.com/wp-content/uploa ... y-bold.jpg[/img]

+ it has a leather back ! Quality !

October 15th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
US phone, IPhone 3G white.. love it.

UK phone, SkypeS2.. hate it. The service plan via three is amazing though, that's why I bought it. Pay for the phone once, £30. Top it up once (and only once) £10. Skype free forever.. even if I run out of minutes... it's crazy but perfect for calling overseas. Gotta love the fierce competition over here

I think I'm going to jailbreak though, the S2 interface is just too far backwards from the iphone

October 16th, 2009, 6:51 am

ryan_mcg
Coroflot: 19152
iPhone 3GS (black)- When I finally finished my undergrad I rewarded myself with one of these. It was the only phone I ever saw that could make me part with my Samsung E900. I absolutely loved that E900 to bits. Indestructible, beautiful slider mechanism, great functionality.

But having an iPhone has made the need to sit down at a computer pretty much useless for general email checking, light surfing, etc. I love now getting my emails each hour.

Im with O2 in the UK, because thats who they only dealt with at the time.

www.ryanmcginley.co.uk

February 16th, 2010, 8:07 am

beverlyyan
I own a Nokia 5300 cell phone ans so far I am contented with it. I enjoy the touch screen and wide screen features. Also, the ability to connect in the internet. But, I am not so satisfied with its 3.15 MP camera and I think its too blurry especially at night. CAAS
Last edited by beverlyyan on March 10th, 2010, 4:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

February 17th, 2010, 10:34 pm

Timf
full self-realization
full self-realization
My first phone back in the US world of service providers controlling phones is a Motorola Droid through Verizon. My past phones were Treos and HTC smartphones. I liked them but I think the Droid is the maturity of the smartphones I have had. Only thing i don't like is I have to sync my calendar and contacts through Google, which i know is taking my information and storing it forever.

February 18th, 2010, 1:35 am

Hoodzy
step three
step three
I'm old school. I had my razr for 3 years until it died. Loved that phone.
I now have an LG shine. The texting is slower then I can type.
I don't like the full out keyboards. I like being able to text by moving my one finger mm's and not having to look at my phone.

February 18th, 2010, 3:40 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
I'm going to reserve final judgement until I try it, but some of the Windows 7 interfaces are looking quite interesting... though something about the san serif font still kind of bugs me, but the panoramic interface I like alot. All it seems to need is a sexy phone to run on, which I'm sure will come

I'd like to have variety when I get a new smartphones, instead of always considering just the iphone as the best - this might make that happen

February 18th, 2010, 6:51 am

mo-i
full self-realization
full self-realization

I got it 4 years ago as a business phone. Hasn't dropped a beat since the software was upgradet 3 Months
after purchase.

At its time it was one of the first Camera Phones, which are o so yesterday already. But It puts the functions
first that I need on a daily basis. The Camera and Flash are good. (Better than some todays models). It is a
nice phone and couples to my car without a problem.

What else could I want?

All the best

yours mo-i

P.S: Apple decided to restrict the I-phone to the worst provider we have in Germany.
The old bureaucrats of Telekom. Won't move back to them ever.
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

February 18th, 2010, 7:46 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization
Hey Moi - you could always buy one by itself and unlock it. I've run the numbers here and it winds up cheaper than the 24 month contracts

I hear you on having a good camera on the phone, IMHO even the iPhone is lacking... I'm really ready for the smart phone that can take a good sized quality photo, so I wouldn't need to have a separate camera for imporant events
Last edited by Travisimo on February 22nd, 2010, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2010, 7:31 pm

Lmo
I am so fed up with my new Motorola Adventure and Verizon, that I could spit... . You may recall from a previous discussion, that three weeks after I purchased it the front of the damned thing broke while it was in my pocket ( I must have leaned against something).

After waiting for forty minutes at the Verizon Store, listening to, like, every sixteen year old girl, like whine, to like, her mom ... that she, like, had to have the xxx phone ... I learned that it is not even, like, eligible for repair because it was subjected to physical abuse, and because it was abused it's warranty is therefore rendered void. As such, I have a phone on my hands that will, at some point, get moisture in it and fail. Not eligible for repair? WTF ?!?!

But Verizon happily invited to upgrade a new one .. . . like that is going to happen. .. . ever.

Back in the day, when your only phone was connected to the wall by a wire, you did not own the "instrument". When you got your new apartment and arranged to have the phone "hooked up" the folks at the telephone company gave you the phone. It wasn't free; there was a minimal charge for equipment rental on your bill every month. BUT, it was guaranteed to operate, or they would bring out you another one to your house. After all, what is a communications system if the "instrument" used to access it does not function.

I would gladly pay a few dollars every month for equipment rental knowing that if for any reason it failed to operate, or was broken, that I would still have a phone.

This global addiction to needing the latest and greatest every other month is a total crock of sh*t, but a masterpiece of marketing. I'm pretty much done with the need to stay in touch. Can you hear me now?

My $.01...
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

February 21st, 2010, 9:09 pm

porcupine
step two
step two

Nokia e71. Great keyboard. nice GPS function..comes with a nice little pouch and good ole Nokia usability.
Was my "I won't get an IPhone" buy. Still feeling left out of the app world.. but pretty happy with my phone.

February 22nd, 2010, 11:28 am

Brett_nyc
full self-realization
full self-realization
The windows 7 mobile UI vids I've seen look pretty cool. Very clean. They're touting a "No chromey" 3D look to anything. The hardware demonstrator looks to be pretty clean too. I just can't see myself switching out of the apple + itunes ecosystem though. I've paid for enough music and TV through itunes to switch me and my fiance over to something else.

I have an iPhone 3Gs.

February 22nd, 2010, 1:53 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization
Brett_nyc wrote:The windows 7 mobile UI vids I've seen look pretty cool. Very clean. They're touting a "No chromey" 3D look to anything. The hardware demonstrator looks to be pretty clean too. I just can't see myself switching out of the apple + itunes ecosystem though. I've paid for enough music and TV through itunes to switch me and my fiance over to something else.

I have an iPhone 3Gs.
There was a piece on NPR last week about the Windows Phone 7 Series. Despite having an awful name it looks decent, but i'm sticking with Android. By the time they release the Phone 7, fall I think, it will probably be antiquated.

In the interview they asked about the terrible name and Microsoft's marketing folks thought that customers identify with Windows 7 being a quality operating system so they thought the name Windows Phone 7 Series correlated with that feeling. I think that's a complete marketing fail on several levels, but mostly because desktop/laptop OS customers are a different market segment than mobile device customers. So what are they saying, this is a phone for people that like and use Windows 7? Stupid.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

February 22nd, 2010, 4:06 pm

bennybtl
step four
step four
I broke my first cell phone like LMO broke his. It was in my pocket, with the screen NOT against my leg. I was rushing through the wood shop and walked too closely to a table saw... crunch (bumped the table, not the saw!!!). That was 9 years ago and to this day I still make sure when my phone is in my pocket, the screen is against my thigh.

I have been on the 2 year upgrade cycle, always getting the bare minimum as I didn't text much and my phone was just that, a phone. It always happened that the damn batteries charge starts to fall off after 18 months.

Interesting story: it was awesome when my razr started refusing to charge. It would appear full, but die after 4 hours. The phone was almost 2 years old. I took it into the verizon store, and the employee told me that the software had to be "upgraded" so that it would "allow" it to charge again. They plugged it in, boop-beep-bing and wallah, good as new. Clever clever. A built in software feature to make the phone not work after a certain time period maybe? I'm glad I wasn't sold a new phone / battery. I asked if I could've upgraded the software OTA on my own (like the programming feature, *228 on verizon) and she said no, only they could do it in-store.

I currently have a moto droid (running a custom firmware). I support the idea of android and live in the google world anyway, so that the live syncing of email, contacts, calendars, picasa photos, etc. is really sweet. It's a solid phone so far, but the main reason I decided to jump to a smart phone is I got sick of carrying around my phone, my ipod, my camera, my video camera when I needed it and needing a GPS for my car. And charging them all. And syncing, and managing memory and blah blah blah. I now have one device that does all this good enough.

WP7S (?) looks really cool, but it's so far off, and it's windows.. :(

February 26th, 2010, 12:13 am

peterrific2
I have like the oldest model of Nokia there is. I've always wanted a touch scree phone. What's the best model out there? I'm eyeing the Samsung Corby. :)