What do yins drink?

Ah yes i had many a PBR boilermaker at the Rail in Savannah

ahh the Rail.

I’ve been getting into Rye before dinner and Madeira after…

The Rail…Thats a place I never thought I would hear about in these boards. I spent many of nights at the Rail and B&B’s (before the F-ed it up and closed down the upstairs.) I loved B&B’s. It was the only really great place to play pool. I went back to Savannah in 2005 and noticed that the only remain part of the bar that was open was the downstair lounge, but the upstair used to be packed with pool tables and they had $2 Miller Lites. There were many great product ideas that came out of drinking beer and playing pool and darts.

The boilermaker is an interesting idea. I will have to try it this weekend. I prefer a nice Bourbon, or a well crafted hoppy micro brew.

B&B was my favorite bar in SAV, hands down. my girlfriends always hated it because it was all guys playing pool and was completely filled with smoke, in a stone basement. not the ideal mental image of a perfect bar in a female’s mind I suppose.

after drinking there for four years (since no bar in Savannah ever carded… ever) I got to know the bartenders and would get a completely full to-the-top pint glass of well whiskey for $4. ice in another glass. what an incredible deal and an excessive amount of alcohol. love/d B&B.

It has been Bell’s Winter White and Bells Two-Hearted for me lately, great beers to have in the winter I guess.

I also stumbled across Barenjager last winter at The Glockenspiel in St.Paul, where they serve it chilled, pretty good stuff, actually not bad mixed properly with Jameson.

The packaging is totally ridiculous with a woven sleeve (with belt loop), and sometimes you can find it in the store with an oval shaped bright yellow tin stamped with a honeycomb pattern.

Beats the pants off of that Wild Turkey Honey stuff.

I had this at the ‘tap room’ on St. John’s two weeks ago. If you can find it… try it.
IMG_4390.JPG.jpeg

This sounds delicious, I’m going to try this when I go out tonight.

Your whiskey/kahlua combination is called a Canadian Sunrise I think, although if had cream or milk in it I’m not sure what it’s called…

Had a great time at the bar with a buddy and two pitchers of Two Hearted last night, Michigan knows how to
make some great beers.

I had some of these in mind earlier this evening at the pub… nice topic, totally stays in the back of your mind when your out and about. I ended up with some variation of strong sommerfield cider

cheers to all

Having spent a few years in W. Lafayette, Indiana (1969-1973) I became intimately familiar with Boilermakers, and the Boilermaker.

As traditionally served in Lafayette bars (across the Wabash River where the Monon Railroad Repair Yards were located (source of the “boilermaker” moniker)) , the shot of whiskey was poured into a shot glass, dropped into the mug of beer, and consumed instantaneously (aka: chugged) with the shot glass sliding down the mug into to your mouth (and front teeth) injecting said shot immediately behind the beer.

I spent enough time is dentists chairs as a kid and never had the nerve to try it that way…

Before leaving for my freshman year my dad (himself Purdue alumnus) relayed an old adage; “Beer on Whiskey, mighty risky. Whiskey on Beer, never fear.” i.e. If you drink beer (fermented and carbonated) on top of hard liquor, you stand a pretty good chance of tossing your cookies at some point in the evening. Which totally flies in the face of the Boilermaker…

Never tried the Boilermaker, (though have seen it), but I like my beer and whisky separate.

I have heard the adage though “Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear, Beer before liquor, you’ve never been sicker”. From personal experience I’d say it’s somewhat true.

If you really want to be sick though (never tried it personally), while I was in Denmark I heard of a popular (or so at least rumored) trick to try is to drink a glass of milk or cream before starting to pound shots at home before going out. Supposedly it coats the stomach so you can drink lots. Then, when you feel it’s the right time to get wasted, drink something acidic (maybe a lemonade? can’t recall what was recommended…maybe jumping up and down?) and the milk coating is dissipated and you are instantly wasted. Not sure it would be that good an idea though to have alcohol + curdled milk in your stomach. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, IMHO… :slight_smile:

R

Sounds like that would fly from the face of the boilermaker(s).

At UIUC they have, ( http://www.uofiwiki.org/wiki/Unofficial_Saint_Patrick’s_Day ) one would be wise to eat a loaf of bread in advance. Rk’s post reminded me of that.

This sounds awful!! I am not a big fan of tasting my drink twice. I did try the Boilermaker tonight and I did it with Miller Lite and (I hate to admit it but) some really decent Japanese whiskey that I had in the house. The miller lite, which I never have in my house, was leftover from a holiday party and the whiskey was almost empty, so I said what the hell. I was very impressed with the amount of complexity that it brought to the beer. It reminds me of a beer that I had in Scotland that was stored in Scotch barrels. I forget the name.

just drank a few bottles of Bell’s Hopslam and now understand the graphic on the bottle

I’ve had Hopslam before, and that is exactly how I felt. Have you ever had Surly Furious? It’s a tamed down version of hopslam, I think.

It reminds me of a beer that I had in Scotland that was stored in Scotch barrels. I forget the name.

Man that sounds really good. I was surprised to see how many hits “beer aged in scotch barrels” got; so many I won’t even list any of them.

I read a very interesting article about the history of the Miller brand, though it might be interesting to you guys

so, apparently"the champagne of beer" was initially positioned as a premium beer, but the only people that drank it were literally champagne drinker types who didn’t drink enough of it… so they aimed at blue collar, which is probably why a Miller has a less sophisticated feel nowadays . Personally, I think it’s pretty drinkable, and what’s really funny is my old company had a Scottish intern from Glasgow, and Miller was her favorite beer! We couldn’t believe it
Brand failures the truth about the ... - Google Books - Google Chrome 272010 81520 PM.jpg
link to the short article

Stella Artios…Toured the brewery in Leuven, Belgium during grad school…i suppose fond memories make it taste a little bit better.

Should the 7 and 7 be the official drink of C77? It would require, or perhaps solicit, corporate sponsorship…