Coffee maker recommendation?

If I didn’t have a Rancillio espresso maker already I’d buy that moccamaster for sure!

R

Ratio coffee brewer makes pour over quality coffee that’s as good as it looks (pretty pricey for what you’re getting though imo)

What purpose does that wood beam serve? Other than as an abstracted \ (divide, i.e. ratio) element?

Seducing hipsters? :slight_smile:

A good friend of mine designed that Ratio 8. I don’t want him to get a big head from me getting his coffee maker … but maybe I should. It is super solid feeling. James Owen Design - Ratio

Oh there’s two wood things. I didn’t see the other side in the posted photo. $500!

Meh. Put a bird on it.

Whoa. The twin turbo. That should be just enough coffee for me. However, that ATC tower you posted is even more perfect for me. Checks all my nerd boxes.

Yo did request 8-12 cups of good coffee! I’ve read Technivorm enough times on Core77 that I’m going to have to get one to see what its all about. Are you sure you don’t get a commission Slippy?

How about The Little Guy (though I just realised you would have to ship it over)

I don’t but I should. If I did IG I’d be such an influencer, with literally dozens of junkies who follow my Technivorm babbling…

Dude. Let me know when you start that account. I’d be one of your dozens…

I have to say, I just don’t see what you guys love the aesthetic of these things. color way isn’t going to go with my house. The form work is crude. Off the shelf switch gear. Branding is too large. It is mid century, but it seems like a crude interpretation of it. Just my opinion. all the super hipster coffee shops around here sell them, so I get that they are popular in my small subset of people. Just not for me.

Yeah - I think its a vernacular informed by different considerations than those of the consumer for whom aesthetic refinement is of paramount importance. 100% agree with the assessment of the branding (not enough breathing room) and form development. If considered from a point of view of a ‘tool’ however, there’s a sense of no extraneous parts or surfaces styled simply for their own attractiveness. A Snap-On adjustable wrench or (my new favorite) Knipex pliers have a similar lack of form development outside of that which is strictly functional. I am surprised that Technivorm decided to add color options to their products - maybe they thought that would move the needle. Could always get black.

Appearance was well down on the list of requirements when I was considering buying a coffee maker. I can’t stand stuff that breaks or gets in the way of completing a task, especially if its 5:30AM on a Monday. The holy grail would be a coffee maker as reliable and bullet proof as the Moccamaster, with a bit more attention to cleanability (the basic forms don’t have large fillets that wipe easily), maybe some more tasteful colors, built in the USA (cheaper parts and faster delivery), and delicious pot after pot.

I’m dismayed to hear the hipster coffee shops sell them however.

One clever feature (or perhaps just marketing BS) in the Moccamaster is the tube in the carafe that sends the freshest brewed coffee to the bottom. In theory it supposedly mixes the coffee while brewing and helps preserve heat.

FWIW, I like the original black Moccamaster, not the green one so much (but that does have a vibe I appreciate just not my current taste- a bit too retro).

I appreciate the lack of design and restraint, more than anything. No crowned fake metal plastic bits, functional off the shelf switches like a vintage car with 20 of the same toggle switches on the dash. A bit of naive graphic application on the logo but proper use of typeface and no fake badging. Non ergonomic but functional handle bits.

The Moccamaster will be just as in/out of date in 20 years as it was 20 years ago and is now. That’s good design. That’s timeless design.

I have no actual use for one but wish I did as I love it and want one.

R

This is where I’m coming from now…

And already they made a small step to make it worse with the more recent update (fake chrome knob and “fancy” handle-

Well, they are the best coffee shops, so it seems to align with your rational for the brand. I saw a Moccamaster prominently displayed at Heart Roasters yesterday when I was in. https://www.heartroasters.com I get the appeal of it, it just isn’t for me. I’d love to redesign it as a project though! It is pretty close. Smooth out a few of those injection molded bits, integrate some nicer switches…

Those kinds of changes wouldn’t take anything away from the appeal of the machine and perhaps even open it up some.
The branding application and alignment is hilarious; that could also improve or go away entirely. Or be replaced with a bona-fide metal headbadge.

Q: what’s the ONLY kind of coffee machine hipsters drink drip coffee from?
A: …you mean you don’t KNOW???

(that’s a hipster joke)

The handle could be a nod toward reducing repetitive stress injuries…if this was a coffee-shop machine intended to pull 100+ shots a day.
Its overall quite nice though. I guess I just like the clean, restrained, material-forward styling of commercial utility.

The Silvia is a home machine. Close to commercial with brass heater and such but I wouldn’t expect it to be in a shop. Not enough capacity and single head and all. Nobody is getting RSI pulling espresso shots at home. Someone at marketing tried to make it “better”. …

R

I just spit my single origin through my nose reading this.