Designing for Accessibility

My bad as well - I agree with IAB, I see universal design as “design that fits all” without screaming it. I believe the best products, in general, can serve all segments equally - the features or details that cater to those whose needs are unique can simply be an interesting design cue/graphic/characteristic to the average user, but he/she remains unaffected by its presence. I’ve found that users with special needs don’t want to have a spotlight shone on them, they want to achieve goals just like everyone else, right along with everyone else.

Of course, if we’re talking about specializing products by GEN’s with vanity as the driving factor, that’s a whole different ballgame - have at it, we call those derivative-mods where we utilize as many common elements as possible while specializing the product otherwise to best appeal to the target user. And there I agree with others’ posts, we have a lot more control now with short run parts/protos/CMFs. My daughter doesn’t want her laptop to look like mine, my son doesn’t want his electric scooter to look like the one down the street. My Mom doesn’t want her furniture to look like her neighbor’s.