Future of Product Design

In my opinion yes, there will definitely be jobs for industrial designers, but I think you need to expand your mind to understand what that means. Industrial designers are increasingly required to work on teams to design the entire journey of products and experiences. It’s also to be seen if as much digital tech will be embraced as we think due to the fact that we are already seeing groups that are retaliating against things like social media and digital products due to the negative affects that they are beginning to notice in society. In the very literal sense of traditional ID, I believe unless the world turns into a version of ready player one (doubt it) that we will always need some forms of physical products. ID in my opinion has some of the most transferable skills out of most design disciplines, I know many individuals who went to college for ID and are now doing UX, UI, experience design, “design strategy”, exhibit design, cannabis retail and packaging design, etc. etc. I also believe ID skills can help in solving some of the worlds largest problems like climate change, security, etc. when combined with other disciplines. Put aside the title ID, and I believe you will find the skills when used correctly to be very resilient and future proof.