Wired Article: The Future off Work

September 12th, 2018, 4:44 pm

yo
Administration
Administration
Coroflot: 67242
One of my best friends and old college classmate, Aaron Pizzuti, shared this article on Facebook with the comment "art school, and lots of job changes... we are way ahead of the curve!!!"

year 2050 has in store for humankind
"As the pace of change increases, the very meaning of being human is likely to mutate and physical and cognitive structures will melt"
wired_coder_museum.jpg
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/yuval-n ... st-century

There are a lot of great pull quotes from the piece. One that I liked and related to most is "So what should we be teaching? Many pedagogical experts argue that schools should switch to teaching “the four Cs” – critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity."... which I personally agree with and I think one of the reasons I always felt like a square peg in a round hole while in grade school and high school. My first day of art school was somewhat revelatory. Coming from a small town high school where I was one of the only "artsy" kids to be surrounded by 2,000 other students who were all going to school for painting, illustration, graphic design, industrial design, sculpture or architecture was an amazing experience.

I've worked with a few grade schools in LA and San Diego that are interesting in making design a part of the curriculum, which I think is really commendable. The challenge is it can easily go down the design thinking rout where it feels more like filling out a worksheet than true lateral thinking based c creative problem solving. By it's nature, can primary school education flex enough to accommodate as the author calls "The 4 C's" or does the whole model need to be rethought?

For me, one of the things that nearly split my brain in two was on my first day of class at RISD, our drawing professor, Al Decredico, asked us as a group in his snarling Rhode Island accent "who hear wants an A?" ... a few of the less timid kids raised their hands. He motioned to the TA "you, write their names down, they get A's... to the rest of you, it doesn't matter, nobody gives a f*ck about your grades, they care about what you can do" .... and that is my point, grade school, and later college for most non art school students, cares a lot about grades, and not so much about what you can actually do.

Not really sure where I am going with this whole thing, but a few thoughts I was having and thought I'd throw them out there. At the very lest I thought some of you might enjoy the article.